Is housing an alligator gar for life even possible?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I would say to about 50 degrees f is their limit, roughly speaking
what are you talking about? as long as the water doesn't go solid and there is a water surface for them to breathe, they can survive 5-6 months without eating.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
what are you talking about? as long as the water doesn't go solid and there is a water surface for them to breathe, they can survive 5-6 months without eating.
There is a minimum temperature all fish can't survive, this lethal temp is different for different species, for example redear sunfish die when the water around them reaches 45 f, some tilapia can survive to 55 f, etc

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
There is a minimum temperature all fish can't survive, this lethal temp is different for different species, for example redear sunfish die when the water around them reaches 45 f, some tilapia can survive to 55 f, etc
well, they can easily survive water temperature at near freezing so that's why I don't know what you was talking about when you said 50F

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
well, they can easily survive water temperature at near freezing so that's why I don't know what you was talking about when you said 50F
Many lakes and ponds in their northern range have areas where the water doesn't go much below 50,remember most fish don't spend much time at the surface during winter,instead they tend to find warmer areas of water,which I. The winter isn't usually near the waters surface, since the Thermal Minimum of spatula is not known or published (as far as I can find) we have to make a deduction based on range

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Many lakes and ponds in their northern range have areas where the water doesn't go much below 50,remember most fish don't spend much time at the surface during winter,instead they tend to find warmer areas of water,which I. The winter isn't usually near the waters surface, since the Thermal Minimum of spatula is not known or published (as far as I can find) we have to make a deduction based on range
True that. But many people keep their gar in pond with mostly still water and they get to near freezing and a lot of time they need deicer or water pump to keep the surface from freezing over so the fishes can come up to exchange air. My pond is also the same in the last 6 years that I've have it. That is why I know they have no problem surviving a long cold winter.

Reactions: Matteus

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
True that. But many people keep their gar in pond with mostly still water and they get to near freezing and a lot of time they need deicer or water pump to keep the surface from freezing over so the fishes can come up to exchange air. My pond is also the same in the last 6 years that I've have it. That is why I know they have no problem surviving a long cold winter.
This upcoming winter can you measure all the temps in your pond? Would be a invaluable contribution to MFK and the scientific community.?

Reactions: Matteus

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
This upcoming winter can you measure all the temps in your pond? Would be a invaluable contribution to MFK and the scientific community.?
I don't think this up coming winter is gonna be that cold here. But last winter I had to break a 6-7 inches thick ice layer on top of the pond because I forgot to turn on the pump. I only have 2 spotted gars in there right now but they were not being fed from the start of November till mid April.
I remember checking the temperature when we have a big snow storm some 4-5 years ago and the water temp was near 32 to 36 F most of the time since it is an above ground pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store