Is it a Red Pike?????

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
PEANUT POWER!!! Please tell me i don't have to get rid of my Bellycrawler because i have it with an oscar.........if they get that big then itll be alright..............so i shouldnt go by the 4"-6" i see on taxonomy descriptions?? I hope they all get this big,because i was gonna return it tommorow but i already love him,he ate bloodworm after being in my tank for 18 hours!!he adjusted that quick!! so i like him for that,and if i can keep him i'd be exstatic.............i also don't wanna get rid of my 1" Ocellatus because he is a beautiful marbled black/white.......

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Hold on a second, you have a Crenicichla sp. 'xingu I' in the tank already? That could be a problem right there. Pikes are highly conspecific, in other words they don't like other pike cichlids. It can be tricky keepin them together, some times even the pairs don't get along. They MAY get along for now, but once they hit the subadult age, around 6 to 8", there could very well be problems. Crenicichla sp. 'xingu I' is a notoriously aggressive species when it is an adult. Just keepa very close eye on them aight!! ;)

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
So with it's own dwellings and space,he'll recognise the other fish as a pike when there will be other cichlids in the tank as dithers??Well when or if,then il'll acomodate acordingly,but i read in a post that you yourself have kept more then one in a single tank,so tell me how you pulled that off!!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Largemouthbadbass;582863; said:
So with it's own dwellings and space,he'll recognise the other fish as a pike when there will be other cichlids in the tank as dithers??Well when or if,then il'll acomodate acordingly,but i read in a post that you yourself have kept more then one in a single tank,so tell me how you pulled that off!!
Very carefully...;). They were all Lugubris group pikes, and there was more than just TWO pikes, so the aggression was spread out. PLUS they weren't adults yet, some of them were just becomign subadult, so there were no serious aggression issues. There were some spats though, and I always had another tank open as a quick fix to any squabbles..;). Its risky in tanks smaller than 150 to say the least.

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
Well all is good over here.I put my Crawler in a 30,he's chunky,i had to get a new one,my last one did somthing i never seen a fish do.When he died it whrithed and wrigled like a snake,so i couldn't watch him go through it anymore so i froze him:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .......Got my new dude last night and he's twice the size,different color and more robust.Just from these really common Pikes i'm starting my addiction up and becoming really involved,finding i spend alot of veiwing times in front of my tanks:D:D:D:D

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
Super awesome discovery just made!!!!!It's not a Belly Crawler,its a sveni!!!!!So these guys get 8-10" huh.I'll grow him in a 30 then move accordingly:D

MTN PIKE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2006
Colorado
www.americancichlids.net
Sveni's often are mixed in with juvie 'belly crawlers'. I like them better, not as much of a bottom dweller, also more colorful & active. Some of our first pikes were belly crawlers, we learned alot from those fish. Had to keep them separated for almost a year till they matured, the male kept tearing-up the female. About the 4th (mayby 5th?) time we put them together he finally accepted her - they ended up a bonded pair. He was usually drab but would darken somewhat when his lady was showing nice red on her sides, and a slightly pink belly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store