Is it possible ?

bpunisher18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Racine, WI
We ahd a bit of misfortune today and can't understand what happened, Is it possible that our 10" male RD killed our 16" male Jag ? when I got home from work today I went down to the basement to check on the fishys and noticed the male was dead and when I pulled him out I noticed underneath his gills were no longer connected to it underside and his head was just kind of bent back, They have locked lips befor and nothing ever happened, I figured the Jags mouth was just to big and since he was the bigger fish I had nothing to wrry about, They have been tankmates for over a year now and I now fear that our 14" female will be next.

Any thoughts on this would be great
Thank You

Fishminded

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
Seattle, WA.
It's defenitely possible your RD killed your jag....a Jags mouth is not as strong as a RD mouth...and a super aggressive RD are capable of doing serious damage...:nilly:

..did you notice if your male jag was lip locking or doing any mating activity with the female jag? if so, then that may also have weekened the male jag and tired/stressed him out so it didn't have the strength to ward off the RD..

Sorry to hear about your loss..

bpunisher18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Racine, WI
Actually they just finished up with another batch of eggs and there are wrigglers in the tank now, and the odd thing is The RD is now kepping momma away from her babies. Is he wanting to be a parent ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store