Is it time?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I have an old pug... My parents say he's 10 but I feel as though they've said that past few years so I would guess 12-13. Anyway a while ago he had a cough so I took him to the vet myself and got medicine for it... He was on it for a couple months and the cough never fully went away but was here and there and not constant.... Fast forward to about 2 months ago he had diarrhea... I took him to the vet again and got all the medicine and stuff and after the medicine was gone it wouldn't take long for it to come back... Now fast forward to about a week ago his cough is back to a lot more often and every time he coughs he farts... And then today he had an accident in the house and in medical terms the stool was not normal it's more like diarrhea.

I'm stuck on what I should do... My parents say maybe it's time and I'm thinking it is too as I was on the phone with vet explaining everything. Hell eat and drink (a lot) and then come inside and he just licks his paws for hours... He still has the points where he's all energetic like wen it's dinner time. I seem to have to be letting him outside more and more. Not to mention the vet bills are getting more and more costly... Last visit was $80 and with my parents moving and I'll be looking at apartments soon I may have no choice

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
What's his diet like? As dogs get older they can get more sensitive to grains,which is what happened to our wiener dog (older one) we switched to a grain free diet and he started getting a lot better, he's 15 now and going strong

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
He just eats normal dog food... The vet gave me some wet veterinary food that I mix in his dinner. Every time we've tried to switch their food it ends in disaster with diarrhea all over the place

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
He just eats normal dog food... The vet gave me some wet veterinary food that I mix in his dinner. Every time we've tried to switch their food it ends in disaster with diarrhea all over the place
Switch should be gradual so you don't upset his system, take a look at the ingredients, is there corn,wheat or rice?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
The vet thinks he just keeps getting into something outside... But iv never seen him eat anything outside... He literally goes outside does his thing and sleeps near the door

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I just took a sample to the vet.. They're gonna take it to a lab and test for parasites... And I got cough medicine for him as of now... I mentioned to the lady at the front desk, who basically knows me know cuz I'm always there, about it being time and she kinda seemed to agree with me

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I'm so sorry for your dilemma, choosing options can be very difficult.

See what the vet has to say about the latest tests but do consider getting a 2nd opinion from another vet facility to see if there is something the regular vet is missing.

It seems odd that the cough persisted for months despite treatment.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
They took a sample of his stool and sent it to a lab, apparently he has a parasite.. He's on medication and cough medicine... His cough doesn't seem to be getting better but he hasn't had any accidents inside so far... They did recommend I take him in for a full checkup for blood work and such

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store