Is it worth it to get a Seachem Tidal power filter?

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
I currently have a Tetra Whisper filter in my 20 gallon, and a Marineland Penguin 350 power filter in my 55 gallon. Both, for multiple reasons, I'm looking to replace, and I am trying to decide if Seachem Tidal filters are the best option (I really only have space for HOB filters). Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to get these Tidal filters? Let me know

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'll offer a bit of a dissenting opinion. My lone experience with a 110 revealed two problems:

1. It doesn't stay level. The cheap little plastic piece used to level it is crap and doesn't stay put.
2. It is very prone to clogging and overflowing onto your floor. You really need to stay on top of cleaning these.

I personally would try a Seachem Tidal if I was getting another HOB. I've been thinking about a 15" or 18" rimless cube, would def get a Tidal for those.

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I have both an ac110 along with a few 70s and a couple 50s and I have a tidal 75. I personally like the tidal better, just as big media area plus a surface skimmer and adjustable flow make it that much better.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have never tried the Tidal, or even heard of it, so I watched their promo video.
That surface skimmer sounds like a really good idea, so if I was going to get a HOB, I'd go that route.
I have had ACs, and they are adequate filters, but the surface skimmer on the Tidal, really sets it apart in my eyes.
The surface (air water interface) is a catch all for many pollutants perhaps more deleterious than a few turds on the bottom.

Balistik928

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Lancaster, PA
I have never tried the Tidal, or even heard of it, so I watched their promo video.
That surface skimmer sounds like a really good idea, so if I was going to get a HOB, I'd go that route.
I have had ACs, and they are adequate filters, but the surface skimmer on the Tidal, really sets it apart in my eyes.
The surface (air water interface) is a catch all for many pollutants perhaps more deleterious than a few turds on the bottom.
That last statement is awesome. I know exactly what you mean by that.

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
over the years I have used AC filters but have switched over to Tidal. The Tidal is easier to clean the media. It has a basket so you can put what ever you want in there. There is a thumb wheel on the top to turn off the flow while feeding. The AC filters have better foam and it is capable of removing smaller particles from the water. The foam in the Tidal is very course. The Tidals pump housing is in the tank so it takes up more space in the tank. However, that design means you dont need to manually fill the filter up after a big water change. Cleaning the pump impeller is easier with the AC design. They both have drawbacks and shining points. I would say you would be fine with either. If you don’t have a need to replace your AC’s it wouldn’t be worth it.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store