Is it worth it to get a Seachem Tidal power filter?

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Not sure what brand of powerhead you use that makes loud hum noise. I have both the AC powerhead and Koralia circulation powerhead, and they are absolutely silent. Canister is quieter only because it is hidden beneath the cabinet sound barrier. I have compared canister with HOB side by side, and canister is nosier. Placing the motor inside the tank provides some sound barrier effect, but if the impeller makes clicking noise, nothing helps.

True. The heavier your stocking, the more frequent you need to clean the filter and impeller. But the temptation not to stock one more fish is hard to resist. The biggest issue with magnetic drive pump is slippage. If the impeller is gunk up, it won't self start in power surge. So periodic cleaning of the impeller is a necessary maintenance requirement. But the more frequently you clean the impeller, the faster you can damage the O ring.
I agree I have power heads that are silent

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I haven't cleaned an impeller in years, nor have I had an AC 500 (110) not start after a power outage, nor have I ever had a damaged o-ring. 8 units, all running problem free for years & years ......

As previously stated, if one is going to pack their tank with fish and plants to the point that they have to be cleaned twice a week, probably best to set up a good sized sump, and forget about HOB filters. Or cut down on stock.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Not sure what brand of powerhead you use that makes loud hum noise. I have both the AC powerhead and Koralia circulation powerhead, and they are absolutely silent. Canister is quieter only because it is hidden beneath the cabinet sound barrier. I have compared canister with HOB side by side, and canister is nosier. Placing the motor inside the tank provides some sound barrier effect, but if the impeller makes clicking noise, nothing helps.
I've used various power heads in the tank like koralia and AC. I can still hear the hum when reading, and it still annoys me.

The only time I damaged an AC o-ring was when I decided to remove the motor and split the o-ring on an 8+ year old AC that sat in a storage bin in the garage for a couple of years.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
If I turn off all equipment, I can hear the hum noise. But you said that your power head makes loud hum noise, that’s not my experience as it makes less hum noise than my HOBs. Hum noise isn’t annoying to me. It’s the clicking noise that I can’t stand.

RD said he hasn’t cleaned the AC impeller for years. That’s a miracle. I have the AC powerhead that has the same impeller design and probably interchangeable. I need to clean it every few months or else it would not restart, and I make sure it is cleaned before I leave for vacation. Gunk build up is bio slime accumulation that is occurring even in low stock tanks. If you keep plants, a piece of root fiber can get sucked and entangled the impeller.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If I turn off all equipment, I can hear the hum noise. But you said that your power head makes loud hum noise, that’s not my experience as it makes less hum noise than my HOBs. Hum noise isn’t annoying to me. It’s the clicking noise that I can’t stand.
I think you misread my comment. "There is a low hum, which I find much louder than a canister filter under the tank behind the closed doors." Based on the general position of the filters, I would personally rate the noise as the HOB is the loudest (nothing to buffering the noise), then internal tank powerhead/pump, and finally canister.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
When I tested run Whisper, Penguin and AC side by side years ago, Whisper is the quietest, next is Penguin, and the loudest is AC. But silence comes with a trade off. Whisper is the worst self starter because it has the weakest pump. I had to finger kick start it often if I didn’t clean the impeller weekly. That’s too much and a safety risks to my fish when I go away, so I abandoned Whisper. AC is the best self starter, and Penguin comes next.

Now with a new line of HOBs with in tank motor, they can be powerful, quiet and reliable restarter at the same time. I have not tested run them though, purely theoretical assumptions.

I have a trick to make HOBs quieter without trading off restarting reliability. I replaced my Penguin 350 impellers with smaller 200 when the original worn out. It pumps less water, but quieter without trade off in restart reliability since the motor is the same. Slower flow rate will not turn the biowheels but I don’t use nor ever installed the biowheels anyway. Slower flow rate actually provides better mechanical filtration by clogging up the filter pads more thoroughly thereby delaying filter cleaning.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
RD said he hasn’t cleaned the AC impeller for years. That’s a miracle
Gunk build up is bio slime accumulation that is occurring even in low stock tanks.

Not a miracle at all. A slight build up of bio slime does not cause an AC 500/110 impeller to jam up or even slow down. Not even close. My motors run 24/7 365 days a year, year after year after year. I don't even turn my AC's off when doing 80-90% water changes. Also as already mentioned I use probiotics
which helps keep sludge from building up, but even without using them in yrs past, the only time that I generally had impeller issues was when sand got sucked up, and stopped an impeller in its tracks.

Not sure what everyone else is doing, but while the AC is not perfect, I certainly don't have any serious issues that you guys are referring to.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Yeah ill agree there sand is the only issue ive had fixed that by moving the intake and adding a sponge prefilter.
On a different note with the in tank motor hob filters how much heat does it generate?

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
The magnetic drive motors are made for air cool and touched warm, so don’t count on them to help your heating bill. Because of the low heat generated, they last forever.

Sand pumping is an issue with canisters and AC. Most HOB pumps are too weak to draw sand.

My goal is to clean my filters as frequently as practical soon after wastes are generated, rather than to hide wastes in the filters for months to generate nitrate.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was looking to purchase a new hob the past weekend and I might have gotten a Tidal but no stores here seem to carry them.I picked up a Marineland instead due to the price that I could not pass up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store