IS LIQUID NAILS SAFE?

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Im setting up my new (new to me) hex tank and im goint to attach some decoration to a grid and set it on the bottom. Is liquid nails safe to use inside a aquarium? I know some people use it on their plywood builds but thats not necessarily exposed to water. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Not safe according to the MSDS on the product. There are water-safe epoxy cements designed for aquaria. Just google 'aquarium epoxy' and about a dozen products will come up on the 1st screen results.

glue.jpg

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case but I was hoping it would be ok. I dont need much adhesive and all my silicone is in big tubes. I guess I'll look around for more stuff in need of sliliconing.

What about super glue? I got some of that too.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Go for the epoxy. Your aquarium silicone doesn't bond to PVC egg-crate grids.

Regular cyanoacrylates (super glue) are not water-proof. There is an aquarium cyanoacrylate product that has been made to be waterproof. Use that instead of the wally world type glues.

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
Thats what I love about MFK, Im always learning. I have some epoxy laying around that is supposed to be used for plumbing repairs. I imagine that would work as well? Im trying to avoid buying anything new for this - moving and buying a house soon.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sorry, I'll never greenlight any product I know nothing about. If it's good for plumbing it should also be waterproof. Now, has the product been tested for toxic effects on fish? If not, you're on your own. I made the recommendations I knew to be safe and effective for your project. Beyond that, it's all at your own risk.

SemperFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
Hubert, NC
I think Ive solved my dilemna. Instead of the egg crate grid I am going to use a piece of glass. The silicone I have should adhere to that fine and it should look better once I set up my lighting from underneath.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I've see adhesives in catalogs for attaching corals and live rocks, if its safe for them it has to be safe for fresh water since saltwater is drastically more delicate

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
bbortko;4461708; said:
I've see adhesives in catalogs for attaching corals and live rocks, if its safe for them it has to be safe for fresh water since saltwater is drastically more delicate
That's a false assumption to make. Several of the available reef adhesives are comprised of limestone. While limestone is relatively stable in marine environments, it breaks down rapidly in acidic FW systems. Always check and question the ingredients before introducing a product into your systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store