Is my flowerhorn fading?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
stringy poop and belly looks sunken in. Likely internal parasites. Most likely brought on by stress from poor water quality. Did you get better filter media? How has your waterchange schedule been as of late?
Haven’t been many water changes lately. I’ll be doing a 70% in the morning. Filtration is a tetra whisper and an AC110

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Haven’t been many water changes lately. I’ll be doing a 70% in the morning. Filtration is a tetra whisper and an AC110
Ok, test water perameters as well. How has the waterchange schedule looked like in the last month? I asked about filter media but hearing you have an aquaclear 110 and using the media it came with that sounds all good?.

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
The light In the tank has been off a lot lately but I just noticed that daisy looks red and grey instead of red and yellow like usual. Is he fading? Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane HybridFinatic HybridFinatic Bbuckley Bbuckley View attachment 1476592View attachment 1476593
Now then ✋?. It don't look like fading to me he looks a little stressed though. What's your water like.

If you think Theres a chance he has internal parasites I would treat him as soon as possible. Is he eating OK if so what's his poo like after eating.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Just for reference, they usually will get black patches before fading (at least for bps). Dull colors has to do with stress, as has been said.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
To me the FH looks to be either stressed or bored, stress seems the most likely due to the symptoms, it could even be a combination of both. I would try placing a mirror next to the tank for 15-20mins, if the color and mood doesn't improve during that time then I would say it's 100% due to stress. Just make sure not to feed during that time as the FH will most likely refuse to eat due to the new "intruder".

But like everyone else has said already, it would be best to atleast test the water for any abnormalities. Always better safe then sorry as they all say.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
To me the FH looks to be either stressed or bored, stress seems the most likely due to the symptoms, it could even be a combination of both. I would try placing a mirror next to the tank for 15-20mins, if the color and mood doesn't improve during that time then I would say it's 100% due to stress. Just make sure not to feed during that time as the FH will most likely refuse to eat due to the new "intruder".

But like everyone else has said already, it would be best to atleast test the water for any abnormalities. Always better safe then sorry as they all say.
I mean...Many flowerhorn are kept in much less stimulating environments and don't get like this from just boredom. It's undoubtedly stress. Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn already implied he's neglected water changes so sounds like that is the cause of the supposed internal parasites issue. I'd actually be against the idea of using a mirror when he is already clearly stressed and not just bored as too not add MORE stress to equation from an "intruder".

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I mean...Many flowerhorn are kept in much less stimulating environments and don't get like this from just boredom. It's undoubtedly stress. Rtc/tsn Rtc/tsn already implied he's neglected water changes so sounds like that is the cause of the supposed internal parasites issue. I'd actually be against the idea of using a mirror when he is already clearly stressed and not just bored as too not add MORE stress to equation from an "intruder".
I’m on your side. I think the issue is parasitic due to me neglecting the tank. Should I treat the tank or wait?

Reactions: Bbuckley

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I’m on your side. I think the issue is parasitic due to me neglecting the tank. Should I treat the tank or wait?
Waterchanges man, and get back to us with the parameters. And for now keep the tank light off. Give him a day or 2 to see if he improves. kno4te kno4te for med recommendations if necessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store