Is my flowerhorn male or female ?

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
Wouldn't quite say they are paired atm they are more or less just respecting eachother for now. Usually you will see the female acting a bit aggressive with the male she wants to pair with, chasing him and nipping him and sometimes lip locking, it may seem like aggressive behavior but it's all to test the male to see if he will be aggressive enough to protect their eggs/fry from any intruder.

So far from what I'm seeing with these 2 is that they are just getting along with eachother and not really doing any courtship behaviour atm.
When I tried introducing my female the first time it was horrible he kept chasing her later down like 2 weeks after they paired. Today I was surprised to see this as normally if any fish enters the tank he destroys it. His tube even dropped too so I’m not sure still . Will try again Saturday.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
Wouldn't quite say they are paired atm they are more or less just respecting eachother for now. Usually you will see the female acting a bit aggressive with the male she wants to pair with, chasing him and nipping him and sometimes lip locking, it may seem like aggressive behavior but it's all to test the male to see if he will be aggressive enough to protect their eggs/fry from any intruder.

So far from what I'm seeing with these 2 is that they are just getting along with eachother and not really doing any courtship behaviour atm.
Bro what do you think i should do? Keep trying ? Tried a session today she was all over in front of him even went as far as eating together , he eventually swum slowly up to her bit her (didn't look bad as she only got a little mark there) and just stood there for a few secs and swum off. Keep trying? I have plans to try them back by next week. Also noticed like he sometimes like sped up a tiny bit on certain occasions. Btw reasons i'm thinking its a female are:2nd smallest out of the batch, all of her brothers are like very close to 5 inches and already have a double chin, her dad was a long body and mum was a short and this was one of the two fish out of the batch of 8 that was a shortbody and lastly is showing the best color out of all her siblings right now.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Bro what do you think i should do? Keep trying ? Tried a session today she was all over in front of him even went as far as eating together , he eventually swum slowly up to her bit her (didn't look bad as she only got a little mark there) and just stood there for a few secs and swum off. Keep trying? I have plans to try them back by next week. Also noticed like he sometimes like sped up a tiny bit on certain occasions. Btw reasons i'm thinking its a female are:2nd smallest out of the batch, all of her brothers are like very close to 5 inches and already have a double chin, her dad was a long body and mum was a short and this was one of the two fish out of the batch of 8 that was a shortbody and lastly is showing the best color out of all her siblings right now.
Well some fish just grow at different rates. I know have w girls atm and they are both sisters from the same batch of fry but 1 is 8.5in while the other is only 5in. Personally I would just give them a break from one another for a day or 2 before trying again. Ya don't want to force a pair ya want it to be more natural. If ya try to force a pairing it might end up with a dead fish eventually.

Reactions: ryanmussio

ryanmussio

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2016
Trinidad
Well some fish just grow at different rates. I know have w girls atm and they are both sisters from the same batch of fry but 1 is 8.5in while the other is only 5in. Personally I would just give them a break from one another for a day or 2 before trying again. Ya don't want to force a pair ya want it to be more natural. If ya try to force a pairing it might end up with a dead fish eventually.
Thanks Man I'll leave them till next week guess im being a pain in their **s right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store