Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree a female would generally have lots of blue on the lower jaw.
And yes males will lip lock, to joust for an alpha position in the hierarchy, and for the best territory and mates.
Where ever I have snorkeled in Mexico where JDs were the predominant cichlids, most males had damaged and even fungus filled lips from constant lip locking.
[/URL

Reactions: GamerChick5567

locolupe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2017
I agree a female would generally have lots of blue on the lower jaw.
And yes males will lip lock, to joust for an alpha position in the hierarchy, and for the best territory and mates.
Where ever I have snorkeled in Mexico where JDs were the predominant cichlids, most males had damaged and even fungus filled lips from
nice pics man, never seen JD' s in the wild.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yep, two male.
Here is a pic of my female. As you can see the females have a lot more bearding spangles.
20170116_224209.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
males, and Kathryn, that one looking like it could be male also. have you seen it lay yet?

Reactions: pcfriedrich

locolupe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2017
I agree with pops, Kathryn's also looks like a male. Unless it's some kind of EBJD line bred where sexual differences are blurred. I don't see a blue jaw at all.
I wonder if mine has EBJD line , the first pic I posted, he has a lot of blue

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Blue spangling on the body is "not" a way to determine gender difference, males often have the main part of the body, covered in blue.
The gender trait fenales have, (that males usually don't) is a large area of blue below the jaw, and on the lower gill plate, which is not present in the 1st photo in the thread (unless the light used washed it out.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
males, and Kathryn, that one looking like it could be male also. have you seen it lay yet?
No, it hasn't fully matured yet so no laying. Only 4" total length(is this too young for sexing for a jd?). Are are guys sure you think it looks like a male? It sure doesn't act like a male. And my female gt hates it with a passion.

The bottom gill plate is so covered in blue spangles and breading. Like duanes duanes said. That's a female trait, males are that tan color on the bottom gill plate.

I've felt so sure on gender ever since I go it. lol I'll be shocked if I've been wrong this whole time.

locolupe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2017
No, it hasn't fully matured yet so no laying. Only 4" total length(is this too young for sexing for a jd?). Are are guys sure you think it looks like a male? It sure doesn't act like a male. And my female gt hates it with a passion.

The bottom gill plate is so covered in blue spangles and breading. Like duanes duanes said. That's a female trait, males are that tan color on the bottom gill plate.

I've felt so sure on gender ever since I go it. lol I'll be shocked if I've been wrong this whole time.
Im gonna pick up a pair of Jack Dempseys who are for sure female and male since they've had babies once already. The owner can't keep them anymore since he is moving to a smaller place. I will post a picture of the male and female on this thread later, so we can all see the differences

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store