Is that ich

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Can't tell from the videos which are not that good for observing up close. And ich uses a lot of the body, not just the tail.

What would help would be:

1) good up close pictures of the whole body
2) some history of all the fish in the tank including those that were in the tank in the last month
3) some description of swimming behavior
4) some description of medical history: did the tank have ich before? How long have you observed that mark?
5) temperature of the tank, current ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH level.

Without most of that, it's pure guess work as to what it is and what should be done. Also, increasing the temps without knowing the ammonia levels and what that mark is could be a bad choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: felixpaul

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
looks like a fin cist(sp) to me, more than likes grow out. ICK will be on the body like little grains of rice.

felixpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2017
India
Can't tell from the videos which are not that good for observing up close. And ich uses a lot of the body, not just the tail.

What would help would be:

1) good up close pictures of the whole body
2) some history of all the fish in the tank including those that were in the tank in the last month
3) some description of swimming behavior
4) some description of medical history: did the tank have ich before? How long have you observed that mark?
5) temperature of the tank, current ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH level.

Without most of that, it's pure guess work as to what it is and what should be done. Also, increasing the temps without knowing the ammonia levels and what that mark is could be a bad choice.
Temp is between 30 to 32
Added rock salt.
Daily 20% water change. To avoid ammonia.
Feed was zebra danios which was quarantined before adding.
He swims normally
Feeds normally.
Size is around 5"

LloydGross

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2017
That looks easy to big to be ich and localized on one spot. I wouldn't crank heat and salt until you are sure what it is. Can you get some close up photos?

Two days quarantine is not quarantine at all, that's not long enough to see the life cycle of ich. If it were me if switch to a diy food or a high quality frozen selection

felixpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2017
India
That looks easy to big to be ich and localized on one spot. I wouldn't crank heat and salt until you are sure what it is. Can you get some close up photos?

Two days quarantine is not quarantine at all, that's not long enough to see the life cycle of ich. If it were me if switch to a diy food or a high quality frozen selection
My fish is just 5" and won't have developed teeth so giving zebras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store