Is there a larger alternative sinking pellet that is similar to hikari sinking gold “medium size”

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
Not as good as NLS or Northfin, way too many fillers. {Rice Bran, Wheat, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Soy Lecithin, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Middlings, Grain Distillers Dried Yeast,}
Ok thanks ! I’m going with northfin carnivore. They make it in a 10mm and I’m sure they will love it

Mofo fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2021
Charlotte NC
I've never seen either the Northfin Carnivore or the Extreme large pellets. Useful info, gotta check into those. I don't completely trust any claims that a single pellet is 100% nutritionally complete, so it would be great to have a couple or a few different types on hand to alternate feedings with the Massivore pellets that I can get locally. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, and to those who contributed. :)
Agreed ! Neither had I, I learned a bunch, love this forum ? And your welcome . Happy fish keeping!

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I've never seen either the Northfin Carnivore or the Extreme large pellets. Useful info, gotta check into those. I don't completely trust any claims that a single pellet is 100% nutritionally complete, so it would be great to have a couple or a few different types on hand to alternate feedings with the Massivore pellets that I can get locally. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, and to those who contributed. :)
If multiple pellets combined can be nutritionally complete then one can be too.

I mix meaty and veggie pellets to cover more variety of veggies.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If multiple pellets combined can be nutritionally complete then one can be too.

I mix meaty and veggie pellets to cover more variety of veggies.
Of course a single pellet, or a mix, can be nutritionally complete; that doesn't mean that they are, manufacturers' claims notwithstanding.

Add to that the fact that each pellet has a different recipe and composition, throw in the fact that each fish species will have slightly or greatly differing nutritional requirements, and it all adds up to a strong case for playing the odds to your advantage by offering a variety. It simply doesn't stand to reason that a single recipe will be perfect for every fish, or every cichlid, or every catfish, or every...anything. Feeding a variety is also useful in case the food you prefer is for some reason unavailable; having others on hand that are known to be acceptable could be a useful feature.

There's another factor as well, a human factor. I and many others simply feel that a living creature deserves some thought given to its quality of life, whether that quality difference exists in reality or simply in the keeper's mind. I wouldn't feed my kids a "nutritionally perfect" pellet if one existed for people; I don't feed my dog a single commercial "nutritionally perfect" dog food either (although I'm sure that such a product probably exists). Even if I believed that the research into fish nutrition were as intensive and exhaustive as that which goes into human or canine diets (and I very much doubt that), feeding a living creature a single monotonous diet "feels wrong" to me. It's not a motor that can use the same brand of gasoline and lubricating oil indefinitely without complaint. A living thing deserves some amount of empathy in its maintenance. So I am going to look for these other alternative pellets, and will also continue feeding frozen whole krill, earthworms, mayflies and other foods as well.

We keep them because they make us happy; keeping mine this way makes me happy. :)

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Of course a single pellet, or a mix, can be nutritionally complete; that doesn't mean that they are, manufacturers' claims notwithstanding.

Add to that the fact that each pellet has a different recipe and composition, throw in the fact that each fish species will have slightly or greatly differing nutritional requirements, and it all adds up to a strong case for playing the odds to your advantage by offering a variety. It simply doesn't stand to reason that a single recipe will be perfect for every fish, or every cichlid, or every catfish, or every...anything. Feeding a variety is also useful in case the food you prefer is for some reason unavailable; having others on hand that are known to be acceptable could be a useful feature.

There's another factor as well, a human factor. I and many others simply feel that a living creature deserves some thought given to its quality of life, whether that quality difference exists in reality or simply in the keeper's mind. I wouldn't feed my kids a "nutritionally perfect" pellet if one existed for people; I don't feed my dog a single commercial "nutritionally perfect" dog food either (although I'm sure that such a product probably exists). Even if I believed that the research into fish nutrition were as intensive and exhaustive as that which goes into human or canine diets (and I very much doubt that), feeding a living creature a single monotonous diet "feels wrong" to me. It's not a motor that can use the same brand of gasoline and lubricating oil indefinitely without complaint. A living thing deserves some amount of empathy in its maintenance. So I am going to look for these other alternative pellets, and will also continue feeding frozen whole krill, earthworms, mayflies and other foods as well.

We keep them because they make us happy; keeping mine this way makes me happy. :)
If multiple pellets can be nutritionally complete, why wouldn't manufacturers mix all raw ingredients of them to make them perfect? I think, we hobbyist overcomplicate things for us when most complications are already handled by manufacturers.

In my point of view, nutrition can't be perfect and generally never is, no one gets right amount of nutrients, at least when it comes to micro nutrients. A healthy diet always has more than necessary micro nutrients. I don't think there is perfect pellet for each fish and there doesn't have to be. Some needs do vary in extreme case like for a herbivores, omnivores and carnivores. Having different pellets for them make sense. Variety doesn't add any benefit here imo.

Most fish usually start eating new foods after fasting 2-3 days. I wouldn't worry too much about availability.

I don't think fish care about if you feed them same pellet or different. They do get excited about frozen foods though. Which I do feed occasionally.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If multiple pellets can be nutritionally complete, why wouldn't manufacturers mix all raw ingredients of them to make them perfect? I think, we hobbyist overcomplicate things for us when most complications are already handled by manufacturers.
Because that would cost too much to do. The goal of a manufacturer making fish food is not to make the best fish food he can; it is to make the fish food that the most fish keepers will buy, and to make it as cheaply as possible to maximize profits.

...I don't think fish care about if you feed them same pellet or different. They do get excited about frozen foods though. Which I do feed occasionally.
Which simply shows that they do have preferences. Again, we keep them because it pleases us. Some of us get more pleasure from the keeping if the kept appear be pleased as well.

We simply have different opinions, neither necessarily right nor wrong. My opinion led me to read a thread about alternate foods.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Because that would cost too much to do. The goal of a manufacturer making fish food is not to make the best fish food he can; it is to make the fish food that the most fish keepers will buy, and to make it as cheaply as possible to maximize profits.
Not really. Let's say 3 foods combined make nutritionally complete food, priced at 10, 12 and 14 dollars for 200gm packet. Then mixing them and making 200gm packet would be $12. Later part is complicated, profit is main goal for every business but some brands like NLS and northfin use better product without fillers while product like hikari and omega one uses tons of fillers. Both successful.

Which simply shows that they do have preferences. Again, we keep them because it pleases us. Some of us get more pleasure from the keeping if the kept appear be pleased as well.
My point was that I think they do have preference towards more natural texture like frozen blood worms and krill. Pellets really seem same to them.

Most easily acceptable pellets like hikari uses a lots of fillers. But ones fish gets on some pellets I don't see difference in attraction.

I want my fish to be happy as well and not saying it shouldn't. I was trying to say different pellets doesn't necessarily mean that fish it's pleasurable to fish.

We simply have different opinions, neither necessarily right nor wrong. My opinion led me to read a thread about alternate foods.
Not saying that anyone is right or wrong either. It's interesting topic and I am always interested in talking about food. I learned a ton from members here and been here for decade, still got a lot to learn. As RD. says, this hobby has never ending learning curve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store