Is there a trick to keeping fancy goldfish?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Finally a thread on MonsterFishKeepers where I can provide valuable input! Yes! I've been waiting years!

Bring on your questions and i'll answer in multiple paragraphs if you like!
^^^There you go, goldfish hardcore keeper is here :D

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Finally a thread on MonsterFishKeepers where I can provide valuable input! Yes! I've been waiting years!

Bring on your questions and i'll answer in multiple paragraphs if you like!
I wanted to start a planted tank and thought about putting some goldfish in it. Probably a 30 gallon tank....maybe 40b. I have some 4-6" feeders in my pond to put in there. Any tips?

Op.....I've never had a problem. Had fancys, feeders, black moors.....all pretty hardy fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I wanted to start a planted tank and thought about putting some goldfish in it. Probably a 30 gallon tank....maybe 40b. I have some 4-6" feeders in my pond to put in there. Any tips?

Op.....I've never had a problem. Had fancys, feeders, black moors.....all pretty hardy fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Planted tanks and goldfish is a tough one. They will rip through almost anything. I'm tempted to tell you that you can use java fern, but really in the end they will munch on that too. Anubius (sp?) perhaps. Some will say it can be done, and really it depends on how you want to define a planted tank. If you define it as a manicured, formal planted garden, you are out of luck. If you define it as potted plants (root protection) within your tank, using only the toughest plants - then maybe, but even then... Have i seen it done? Yes. Do I think for a moment that it can last long term? No. Fancy goldfish would be your best bet. Common goldfish will rip through plants like a chainsaw.

I will put it to you like this. Goldfish love love love love love love to munch and graze. Even on bitter leaves. In the confines of a small aquarium, they are bound to get into trouble plant wise. In a pond, you might have a different story, but in a pond your likely to have lilies and other plants like cat-tail and whatnot that are not suited to an aquarium (well some people use them, and if you can go for it!). Further in a pond the plants have the benefit of natural sunlight to boost their growth. In a tank no so much.

In the end, can it work? Yes? Will it be worth the effort? It depends how badly you want to keep a goldfish with plants in an aquarium.

I guess if you have a large amount of plants, and keep your goldfish well fed, then it could work.

I'm the type of guy who hates to see a chewed leaf in a planted tank. Even one. If your ok with that, try it! :)

But again to reiterate, i can answer your question like this:

In a 30 gallon tank, can a goldfish be kept in a well manicured, non chewed, flourishing planted tank? No.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Wow, I started this thread awhile ago! In answer, I did figure out why my goldfish kept dying - it just so happened that the two tanks I was trying to keep goldfish in I had resealed not long before... and I realized months later I had mistakenly used the silicone with mildew inhibitors, which must have been poisoning my fish. I didn't even think about it at the time because I had other tanks I had resealed that were fine, and I didn't even realize the tube I used on those two tanks was the wrong stuff. After a couple months whatever was toxic must have depleted because I have been able to keep fish in that same tanks since then, but for a good couple months everything I put in died a slow death.

Now I currently have 6 medium fancy goldfish in my 40g breeder, headed for my 75 hex (the one that killed the previous gf, but now is ok, so far as I can tell).

And in response, yes you can do planted, but it's difficult. There are some accounts on Instagram of people who have gorgeous planted fancy goldfish tanks. I think the key is being willing to constantly replant, and also using large stones so they can't mess too much around roots. Or try growing pothos, arrow plant, etc. from the top and protect the roots with shower baskets or pond planters.

Wow, I started this thread awhile ago! In answer, I did figure out why my goldfish kept dying - it just so happened that the two tanks I was trying to keep goldfish in I had resealed not long before... and I realized months later I had mistakenly used the silicone with mildew inhibitors, which must have been poisoning my fish. I didn't even think about it at the time because I had other tanks I had resealed that were fine, and I didn't even realize the tube I used on those two tanks was the wrong stuff. After a couple months whatever was toxic must have depleted because I have been able to keep fish in that same tanks since then, but for a good couple months everything I put in died a slow death.

Now I currently have 6 medium fancy goldfish in my 40g breeder, headed for my 75 hex (the one that killed the previous gf, but now is ok, so far as I can tell).

And in response, yes you can do planted, but it's difficult. There are some accounts on Instagram of people who have gorgeous planted fancy goldfish tanks. I think the key is being willing to constantly replant, and also using large stones so they can't mess too much around roots. Or try growing pothos, arrow plant, etc. from the top and protect the roots with shower baskets or pond planters.
I'd say your description of a planted goldfish tank answers the question well: no, you can't keep a planted goldfish tank. :)

By the by, you are way way way over stocked even on your 75 gallon hex! Long term success = 25-30 gallons per fancy.

One more thing, keep the multiple rocks out of your hex! Use a select, maybe one or two, no more. They are detritus traps and take away room from your goldfish.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I wish I have picture of my last goldfish pack (9) that I raised them from baby (1 inch) up to half of football size after couple years...it did make my 125G tank look so darn small with those goldfish :D back there I was suggested 10 gallons per fish from LFS.

**Believe me or not I got a few completely black gold fish but when its hit 5 inches, they all start losing their black color and become orange/yellowish color :D

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I have always heard/read 20g for the first goldy, and 10g for each additional one which is what I figured it at (20g+10gx5=70g). I'm sure more space is better, but that is what I based my stocking on. So as they get bigger if I think they are too crowded I may sell some, since big goldfish are easy to get rid of, or I may not. I will be doing a sump though, so it will be closer to 100g total water than 75g, and I keep large quantities of pothos, etc., in all my tanks so they usually keep nitrates quite low. I know fish keeping ideals shouldn't be based on comparison, but I figured that 6 of them in a well maintained 75g (getting regular WCs) would be far better off than most goldfish from Petsmart that end up crammed into the typical 10g.

Here is a links to some Goldfish planted tank keepers on Instagram:

https://instagram.com/aliciasgoldfish/

And here is a link to an article I based my hardscape on: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwat...ut-for-fancy-goldfish-part-2-full-article.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store