Is there anything else I can do?

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
(Background: )
I have an old convict, Tyrone, who used to be an active and even sometimes mean fish himself, but got beaten up pretty severely back in May by a Green Terror. I gave away the GT and Tyrone found some caves to live in to try to recover. At that point he had almost nothing left to his fins and had some severe damage to his body as well, but he did gradually improve and would come out and swim around when he felt confident in himself.

Still, after several months his progress wasn't that great - his scales still looked a bit rough and he never got the long flowing fins back, and he still spent all his time in the caves. I have had other beat up fish recover within a month with just good water and melafix, so I figured he just had a permanently elevated stress level as long as he shared a tank with my 12" lussoso, who can sometimes be a jerk but is frightening even when he keeps to himself just because he's so big and darts around. So I pulled Tyrone out and put him in a small Quarantine tank so I could keep tabs on him and make sure he ate. I did 48-72 hour water changes, used a good amount of salt, a small daily dose of melafix, and would feed him once every two days. He liked to eat krill or shrimp pellets but not some of the other food I'd give him. I'd always do a water change the morning after feeding him.

Even in the QT he spent his time hiding behind a rock, and occasionally I'd get worried because he seemed to have lost his equilibrium and would be vertical. But just when I'd start to worry I'd see him looking better than ever, darting around normally.

(The actual question: )

Starting last night, though, he has done nothing but lay on his side and he is pale as a ghost - almost white. His breathing is normal and he reacts to my presence but he does not really try to move or eat. I did another WC and this time didn't add anything to it (other than prime of course) and this morning he is still the same. Alive, but not happy. Before I was occasionally worried that he might be suffering - now, I'm certain that he is.

I think that ever since the GT attack he has just been on edge and that has taken its toll on his health, making him an old and vulnerable fish, and I figure he's had enough, but before I consider euthanization I just figured I'd ask here - is there anything else I can try that might give him his equilibrium back?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Doesnt sound good. I agree, I think the GT attack probably traumatized him. Laying on his side and being pale doesnt sound good, he may be on his way out. I dont know what to say.

Lord Barium

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2007
Monday
This is quite a bizzare injury. Usually tough fish like yours recover fast.
I'm no expert on fish diseases, but i think that his injuries must have been internal to an extent-and very severe at that.

What you have been doing for him is very intensive; it seems like his problems should go away.
Could you post a picture? I know it might be hard to get a good photo of him, but it would help to diagnose what he has

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
My camera is dead and where he is in the tank wouldn't allow for a good picture anyway. But think of it this way: He looks like a dead fish, only he's breathing. He's that pale and has that sort of partial lean to one side you noticed in your first dead goldfish as a kid. But he's on the bottom of the tank, not floating at the top.

I want to say there's a very faint pinkness around his gills but I could be imagining that.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Are your water parameters good? Is there other fish tht might be stressing him? Perhaps hes very stressed and needs to be on his own (No Tank mates).

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
He is. I took him out of the main tank (with potentially stressful tankmates and nitrate that'll hit 20 pre-WC) over a month ago. He's alone in a 6g QT now that gets fresh water every 2 or 3 days.

I will say that the QT may very well be cursed. The only fish I've ever had in it that survived were a healthy pair of geos that I put in in a breeding experiment and a flying fox. (Of course, everyone else that went into it was sick, but still, you'd think I'd be able to save more than one fish!) Oh, and the GT was in there for a while before I gave him away - he had been in an African tank despite the pH differences, but he ate two demasoni.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
He is still alive today and it definitely looks like it's internal damage. The side he is curled onto with that very slight bend is actually kind of creased, like there's a line through the middle of him as if he was folded. Behind it on the tail end it almost looks like he is completely empty. I'd give him parasite meds but I've never heard of a parasite that had that kind of effect. Plus again I figure it's way too late.

He has moved around a bit though. He's trying. I feel really bad for him. I think I may have to go buy some clove oil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store