Is there enough oxygen?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm trying to find ways to make sure I have enough oxygen in the water in my new 240 gallon tank. I have 2 fx6's and was thinking of buying airstones, 2 aquaclear 110's or a powerhead to make sure the water moves. So I'm wondering how I am supposed to measure the oxygenation in my water and if this is even necessary? If you can do it and it is necessary, what is a proper level for Piraya Piranha?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I'm trying to find ways to make sure I have enough oxygen in the water in my new 240 gallon tank. I have 2 fx6's and was thinking of buying airstones, 2 aquaclear 110's or a powerhead to make sure the water moves. So I'm wondering how I am supposed to measure the oxygenation in my water and if this is even necessary? If you can do it and it is necessary, what is a proper level for Piraya Piranha?
Yes there are instruments for measuring oxygen in tanks but very few aquarists use them. Frankly imo you're worrying too much about oxygen in your tank bro, with a couple of canisters and maybe an HOB and/or air stone or two you'll be fine.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Salifert I think makes a Kit to measure the dissolved O2 in your tank. I used it in the past but I don’t anymore. My personal “litmus test” is when my silver dollars or my tiger fish come up to gulp air. That’s when I usually up the oxygen level by increasing the airflow and trying to lower the temperature.
this used to happen often in summers when I only had canister filters. I switched over to a sump system and the water flowing down into the sump (wet dry) has improved the dissolved O2 in my tank considerably. I also keep my water temperature between 77 and 80 (lower the temp -> higher the dissolved O2).

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I tend to highly oxygenate my tanks to the point i get disturbed by microbubbles in the water :ROFL:

Reactions: Zanzag

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I had a Cichlid tank when I switched from a canister filter to a sump/trickle filter. After I switched I noticed my Cichlids were more active and swam around a lot more. I have used sumps ever since. I believe oxygen levels are important for healthy fish. By the time fish start gasping at the surface something is WAY out of wack.

I like your idea for air stones and the HOB filter(s). Together they should do a good job keeping oxegen levels up.

Reactions: squint and tlindsey

Thacarter54632

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
As far as hobs go the biowheel filters do a good job of oxygenation and degassing co2.

Use a spray bar or point your outlets towards the surface so that it ripples and it should be fine.

Reactions: tlindsey

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I had a Cichlid tank when I switched from a canister filter to a sump/trickle filter. After I switched I noticed my Cichlids were more active and swam around a lot more. I have used sumps ever since. I believe oxygen levels are important for healthy fish. By the time fish start gasping at the surface something is WAY out of wack.
100% this.

Fish will grow slower, be more susceptible to disease, and less active at borderline low levels <5 mg/L but you won't see them trying to air breathe until much lower levels (2-3 mg/L).

Canister filters will consume dissolved oxygen while trickle filters increase it.

Yes there are instruments for measuring oxygen in tanks but very few aquarists use them. Frankly imo you're worrying too much about oxygen in your tank bro, with a couple of canisters and maybe an HOB and/or air stone or two you'll be fine.
Here you go.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
100% this.

Fish will grow slower, be more susceptible to disease, and less active at borderline low levels <5 mg/L but you won't see them trying to air breathe until much lower levels (2-3 mg/L).

Canister filters will consume dissolved oxygen while trickle filters increase it.

Here you go.
Will two FX6's with two airstones or with two ac110's be enough oxygenation?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Will two FX6's with two airstones or with two ac110's be enough oxygenation?
My guess would be yes. But why not do them both. If you don't like the look of the airstones in the tank (some people do, some don't) just put the airstones in the AC110's. I have never used AC110's. I have a couple of ancient Penguin Emperor 450's from when I used HOB's... I assume you could easily wedge some air stones in the AC110 media?

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have seen 3 AC 110's on I believe a 500 gallon, always fairly well stocked. No issues, ran like this for many years as a display tank in a LFS that I used to supply. It's all about surface agitation, which promotes gas exchange. That surface agitation increases the rate at which 02 (oxygen) dissolves in water. At the same time it also increases the rate at which C02 (carbon dioxide) is released from the water. With AC's you can increase surface agitation just by lowering the water level in the tank.

If you don't feel that you require more filtration, just place a power head or two in your tank, and direct them at the surface. If you are still having issues you might want to consider lowering your stock level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store