Is this a phoenix barb?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We got ours already large and unmistakable. I've only seen a few photos of juvies in passing. It looks like it could be but I'd wait for someone with knowledge, not guesses.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
May not mean much but it seems the snout-tip-to-eye distance is noticeably greater and there is a noticeable indentation in the profile line of the skull / snout on the dorsal side above the eye in the fish in question vs shorter distance and smooth line in Ken's photos.

The short eye to snout tip distance in phoenix is one recognizable trait, seemingly at all ages.

Last edited:

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
May not mean much but it seems the snout-tip-to-eye distance is noticeably greater and there is a noticeable indentation in the profile line of the skull / snout on the dorsal side above the eye in the fish in question vs shorter distance and smooth line in Ken's photos.

The short eye to snout tip distance in phoenix is one recognizable trait, seemingly at all ages.
This is harder than I think, to identify a baby fish ?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
They look like tor to me but I don't specialize in cyprinids

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You need people who know cyprinids, like Ken. Barbs are tough enough to tell as adults sometimes, much harder as juvies - the younger, the harder. There are great many species.

Phoenix barbs Spinibarbus dendiculatum are considered related to mahseer, such as Tor and Neolissochilus. For instance Spinibarbus hollandii is called a Taiwan mahseer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store