Is this a Pleco arguement?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's a possibility that they were just sizing each other up as well.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
That's what I think,too. Thank you. There just didn't seem to be any aggression involved. They reminded me of little bulldogs puffing their chests up at each other. I guess they managed to figure out their pecking order without violence.

matubula

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
UK
Ive only ever noticed the shaking/vibrating behaviour with sub 10cm pleco's. My newly introduced L190's (17cm and 22cm) would just chase each other and occasionally 'fin club'.

MichelleL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2008
North Bay
I intorduced a gibb to a gibb last night in a 90g... did not work out well... I've never seen fighting that agressive before even in vids.. had to move the one gibb out right away. Wasn't hard as they were not even afriad of me when trying to catch him... they were too busy fighting.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I've heard Gibbies can be pretty mean to each other. I've now got a 4" Pekoltia of some sort (maxes out at 4"), a 4" L200, a 4" Royal, and two 6" Royals in the 125 g and they're all getting along just fine thankfully. Looks deserted in there during the daytime but at night with the red and blue lights on that tank seems to come alive lol

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
When there is a real fight plecos will suck to eachothers bellies, and rasp nasty wounds.
The bigger will try to corner the smaller and indeed kill it.
The bigger ones are often aggresive, like the gibbis.
Sorry to hear that didn't work out!

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
I have several different plecos in the same tank, the royal marks it's territory and the others stay away. Sound to me like they are just pointing out 'I'm bigger than you, stay away' regardless of size.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
It seems the 6" Royal I've had for 18 months is Tank Boss. He'll let them get up to 3" away from him but if they get any closer than that he raised his back fin way up in the air like a sail and they scoot off. They're all doing great though, the others all hang out together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store