Is this an apistos Agassi? Please help identify.

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
I was sold three fish labeled Apistos Agassi, but I'm not 100% on it.
Is there someone who can verify this, or tell me what it is; if it isn't what it was labeled as.
Thank you in advance. 20210221_190222.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like it. tlindsey tlindsey duanes duanes

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looks like it. tlindsey tlindsey duanes duanes
It looks like it to me also possibly a female not absolutely sure. If you don't get a accurate answer here checkout Apistogramma.com.

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
It looks like it to me also possibly a female not absolutely sure. If you don't get a accurate answer here checkout Apistogramma.com.
Thank you very much everyone. And thanks for answering my 2nd (upcoming) question tlindsey.
I've got 3 of them, exact same ... So it looks like I ended up with 3 females (which I'd been wondering about).
Glad to hear they're Agassi's (which I wanted). Now the quest begins for a male or two.
But first to check out that site.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, looks like one, female, or a washed out individual.
This is a species that prefers back water, and pH below 7 (6 is even better), and lives among leaf litter (so why tannins are abundant).
If its a new addition might be why it looks washed out.
What are tank mates? What are your water parameters?

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are at least 75 species in the genus Apistogamma, and many location variants (with differing color patterns etc) (a number in the agazzizii species alone).
A friend of mine Jeff at Aquaticclarity breeds them, and offer 3 variants himself (he is also a regular on Apistogramma.com.)
and would be a great source of info.

Reactions: tlindsey

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
I agree, looks like one, female, or a washed out individual.
This is a species that prefers back water, and pH below 7 (6 is even better), and lives among leaf litter (so why tannins are abundant).
If its a new addition might be why it looks washed out.
What are tank mates? What are your water parameters?
Thank you for the further insight. Can't comment on water parameters, I still need to get a test kit. Just that I've been doing 50% water changes every 4-5 days. I hadn't known or read about the tannis, but it's joyful info for me. (I have Almond Leaves already).
I picked them up (all 3) roughly 3 weeks (or more) ago. Good deal and they were something we'd wanted to get into, per say. They've been in the tank with 2 Albino Bristlenose since I'd gotten them. 29g.
A week ago, I picked up 3 Albino Kribs. Later realizing I couldn't put them in my 35g as I'd hoped (possible harm for my Julli's) so I'd added them to the 29g with the Apisto's, as I sorted things out. Added a few more caves and such, as well. Then, as the week progressed, I noticed the Kribs were contained to the center of the tank. The Apisto's had claimed the caves and such. Regardless of the size difference, the Kribs appear to be almost double in size.
But it was the first I was seeing the Apisto's. They've been quite shy up 'til now.
So this weekend I ripped the tank apart and removed the Kribs (Sunday). Did something strange/different with the tank (29g), created what we call our "garbage can" tank (something we'd joked about when we had our tanks previously. My kids and I, so it's things we'd kept for). But it's too bright in a way ..... Tannis will help greatly. But the Apisto's are staying visible, in their new surroundings. Even though their original hideaway is still there.
At this point I wanted to verify what I had. It's what we wanted, so that's a bonus. I'd been suspecting they were all female and it's appearing that way. All the photos I'd seen so far were males, I needed help.
I was browsing the site tlindsey mentioned, and wow yep .... it's another learning curve.
I appreciate the help. Thank you. In the past some of the mods (and members) were fabulous for me. Even when my *** was handed to me LOL. So thanks again, I appreciate ALL the help.

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
Here's a pic of the tank, before and after. In the after pic, you can see all 3 Apisto's (kinda, one's looking at you).
Before ....
20210214_192143.jpg
And after (the almond leaves will help, thank you).
20210221_190016.jpg

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
With Agassiziis being harem/colony breeders, like most Apistogramma, females are typically more desirable than males. So starting off with 3 females is an advantage.

Also, males grow faster and larger than females. I've often had aggression issues in young grow out groups. Giving your females a bit of a head start in growing & maturing can also be to your (and their) advantage.

Is there a local fish club near you? I've moved around a few times while in the hobby. Every local fish club I've ever interacted in has had at least a couple Apisto breeders. Agassiziis are not the most popular, but are sought after. You may find a local source for your male.

Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience. My favorite tank of all time was a large tank with an breeding Apisto Colony as the main inhabitants. I've reproduced the same scene several times and have loved it each time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store