Is this breeding behaviour?

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
My dear friends today I notice something strange for my first time so...one of my rbp take a place in the bottom of the tank and started to put gravel in mouth and take it out and he don't accept anyone else near close..
What all that could be meant?
It's something to do with briding?
What I have to do know and how and when?
Some photos but sorry for the quality...
In the photo the digging place some small but in reality it's really big....

I am in panic mode really.

IMG_20211203_144008.jpg

IMG_20211203_144003.jpg

IMG_20211203_143952.jpg

IMG_20211203_143918.jpg

Reactions: 1 2many

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Sounds like early breeding behavior. Most likely a male claimed the territory and has begun making a nest for a female.

I’ve never bred piranha so I won’t be able to advise further if they do spawn. Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
Thnx guys anyway for your time...
I hope someone know something more because Im really in panis mode because I read something about 5000 eggs....
I don't know nothing I have to do or wait or do after or before or anything like moving the female the male the baby's....
I don't want to loose my giants from a nonsense fight.... Because I see the male has make a great territory for eggs.....

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wouldn’t expect much of the fry to make it to maturity, as piranhas do eat each other. They defend fry though, like cichlids would.
I’ve never bred them either, from what I know it is rather difficult to actually get successful spawning.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
I wouldn’t expect much of the fry to make it to maturity, as piranhas do eat each other. They defend fry though, like cichlids would.
I’ve never bred them either, from what I know it is rather difficult to actually get successful spawning.
Yes I can see they defend hard really but as far as I know every birth is about 5000 eggs even if 200 of them make it again its crazy number of juveniles....how I will handle that and when I have to take it another tank? Take the male? Female? Babys?
Or better take the other 3 of the team out?
But it would be good for team to separate because when I put it back we will have a lot territory problems and a mess with alpha fish...

So much questions really I didn't planned for giving birth.... And now what? ???????

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
200 may hatch, from there, I wouldn’t count on more than 10-20 making it to maturity.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
I hope you right because 10 20 30 it's easy number to take it really fast out of the tank to a new one since the piranhas from the day of birth its capable to eat by its own especially as team 20 30...
But I don't know how much time I have how much days is on the belly of female the only I know is that the eggs open about 2 3 days depends on temperature af aquarium and the general quality of the water....

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Eggs may not even hatch, if they deem it isn’t fit for raising fry they will eat them.
With the fry, you can let them go in the tank (very few would survive) or take them out and raise them yourself, which can be difficult. The latter would provide much more yield and is best if you are trying to sell the babies.

Freezers

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2021
Eggs may not even hatch, if they deem it isn’t fit for raising fry they will eat them.
With the fry, you can let them go in the tank (very few would survive) or take them out and raise them yourself, which can be difficult. The latter would provide much more yield and is best if you are trying to sell the babies.
I already have someone who want to buy it....
Let's talk about fry or not what I should wait from the other adults?
They will turn all to normal if they hatch and we have 20 30 babys and take it out immediately?
If I have 20 30 or even 50 it would be easy for me to raise it and give it away since I know as I mentioned before the baby piranhas are natural born killers so it's OK as feeding them....
Also about a new home is easy to provide also at least for the first months and then I give them.
But I don't know anything about all this and how this would turn again to Normal or if I have to take someone out and when and what about alpaha fish.
And if this would going to happen again?

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store