Is this early beard algae?

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
I've been keeping a brackish puffer tank for about 2 years now. I have a school of Mollies that keep the glass totally algae free. Over the last 3-4 months these black spores have populated on one piece of driftwood and seems to be spreading. That specific wood has been in my tanks for almost a decade. I'm not concerned if it is beard algae...I actually think it would be cool if it grew and flowed like hair. I just have not seen anything that looks like this online. IMG_7381.jpeg

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, it is black beard algae. The term to use should not be spores, as those are minuscule colonizing bodies (microscopic). What you have is more like clumps, which for some reason, are keeping very short and circular-like. BBA can grow in different forms in different flow regimes and circumstances. What you have is not rare, but not the most common. I don't know what triggers the appearance of the different forms.

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Yes, it is black beard algae. The term to use should not be spores, as those are minuscule colonizing bodies (microscopic). What you have is more like clumps, which for some reason, are keeping very short and circular-like. BBA can grow in different forms in different flow regimes and circumstances. What you have is not rare, but not the most common. I don't know what triggers the appearance of the different forms.
Interesting! Thanks for helping me identify it.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
I've been keeping a brackish puffer tank for about 2 years now. I have a school of Mollies that keep the glass totally algae free. Over the last 3-4 months these black spores have populated on one piece of driftwood and seems to be spreading. That specific wood has been in my tanks for almost a decade. I'm not concerned if it is beard algae...I actually think it would be cool if it grew and flowed like hair. I just have not seen anything that looks like this online. View attachment 1521752
Yup looks like algae to me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store