Is this fish TB in my Channa gachua?

Papa Loach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2020
Is this fish tb? The fish is a Channa gachua. I bought it as a group of four. One jumped the first night, another was harassed to death, this is one, and another has a very stunted growth. I am thinking this might be genetic because the tank is 4o gals, feeding is regular, and so are waterchanges. I bought another gachua which quickly shot up in size from 3 to 6.5 inches. It was normal as a juvenile, but at one point it lost control of its tail (it probably jumped and hit its head on the glass cover but I don't see how the next problem is related to this) and from yesterday it's showing scoliosis like bend in the spine. If this is likely an infection I'll separate, if this is genetic I'll continue keeping it in the same tank. WhatsApp Image 2021-08-05 at 10.45.52 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-08-05 at 10.45.53 AM.jpeg

It eats readily, but never ate pellets. I feed it pieces of shrimp, pieces of carplets, pieces of catfish and very rarely slivers(one twice in the past six months) of chicken heart. This spinal deformity wasn't a problem until this scoliosis like symptom made swimming difficult. the first pic is of today morning, and the second is a couple of days ago. There has been a sudden deterioration in its condition. Any and all inputs are welcome (and NEEDED). What can this be? is it treatable? This condition doesn't seem to be contagious as it was paired up with a much larger gachua and that one is fine (till now), but still, fish TB or any other infection that makes the quality of life poorer for the fish is something I wanna avoid.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Is this fish tb? The fish is a Channa gachua. I bought it as a group of four. One jumped the first night, another was harassed to death, this is one, and another has a very stunted growth. I am thinking this might be genetic because the tank is 4o gals, feeding is regular, and so are waterchanges. I bought another gachua which quickly shot up in size from 3 to 6.5 inches. It was normal as a juvenile, but at one point it lost control of its tail (it probably jumped and hit its head on the glass cover but I don't see how the next problem is related to this) and from yesterday it's showing scoliosis like bend in the spine. If this is likely an infection I'll separate, if this is genetic I'll continue keeping it in the same tank. View attachment 1468851View attachment 1468852

It eats readily, but never ate pellets. I feed it pieces of shrimp, pieces of carplets, pieces of catfish and very rarely slivers(one twice in the past six months) of chicken heart. This spinal deformity wasn't a problem until this scoliosis like symptom made swimming difficult. the first pic is of today morning, and the second is a couple of days ago. There has been a sudden deterioration in its condition. Any and all inputs are welcome (and NEEDED). What can this be? is it treatable? This condition doesn't seem to be contagious as it was paired up with a much larger gachua and that one is fine (till now), but still, fish TB or any other infection that makes the quality of life poorer for the fish is something I wanna avoid.
Not sure there’s anyway to fix this. I once had a gold fish with what I believe was scoliosis, it’s tail was pointed up in almost a perfect 90° angle but never had any problem getting around. Definitely not contagious. Only other thing I could think of is possibly breaking his spine somehow but not sure how a channa would do that to itself. Just keep water quality good and worst case scenario, it gets worse and you have to put clove oil in the tank. Good luck. Pretty fish btw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store