Is this gill curl?Please tell me..

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi,
He lives in my 600g tank and I have both of them..other guy is doing fine and he is quite good..I assume if this happens due to the poor water quality , the other guy too should have affect .But he is good..So this may be a genetic issue..However I think it will be good to let him stay without surgery ..
I am glad to hear.

The argument that the other RTC is ok is a good argument but has limitations. Sometimes the ill effects take time to develop and it depends on the fish's initial health, predisposition, pecking order, etc.

Hi...Even he worth 2$ or 1 penny I love him..Whatever the value or cost,these guys are also innocent lives.So to me,it may be an arowana ,rtc or a guppy alll are same..we must pay attention to them if we keeping them..thank you..
Just my thoughts:

Love doesn't live well with ill sense and ignorance. For instance, spend the $2000-$5000 (the cost of surgery in the USA) on the necessary upgrade of the RTC's tank instead of the unnecessary surgery. Or, if your troubleshooting shows poor water, spend it on correcting the water, filtration, stronger water pump, etc.

So far it is pretty obvious that you don't even own a test kit to test your water for the animal you claim to love so much that you would spend anything on its needs. So consider starting with a $20 water test kit instead of a $2000 surgery (USA costs).

I suppose the costs may be $20 for the kit and $20 for the surgery in your country. I mean I do realize that this is possible.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Im genuinely curious on how much the lfs is gonna charge your for this surgery?

I agree with everyone else with leaving it alone looks minor and doubt it would effect its life

I had a experience with gill curl
I took in a 18 inch arrowana that was raised in a 40 gallon tank( previous owner ) beautiful fish but had one curled Gill It’s has not gotten any worse and he seems happy now in my 300 it doesn’t seem to effect him as has grown another 1-2 inches since I’ve gotten him

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We too took in a 2' arowana in 2015-2016 from pretty bad conditions with a bad gill curl that actually earned it the name Flap. As the fish kept growing to the current 3' the curl had been disappearing and has been undetectable for a couple of years now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store