is this normal when breeding betta?

Motoxer777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Santa Paula
Hey guys im trying to breed some betta and the female just took a bite out of my males fin. is it normal that this happens? i separated them for now just in case. thanks

talal101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
alberta
ompletely normal, bettas are known to be aggressive even when breeding but because shes biting him i would seperate them again to where they can see each other and wait a few days and start again.

Motoxer777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Santa Paula
cool thanks man. i have her in a glass chimney so they can look and not touch lol. and my male is now in depression cuz he got his manhood taken away lol!

talal101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
alberta
np, just let them chill for a little while, release her after 3-5 days or until the male and female show a lot of intrest in each other, then release and watch them for 20 minutes to make sure they are ok. they should begin breeding immediately

talal101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
alberta
Yeah but you never know, that could be a warning bite for things to come. Is she more interested now

Motoxer777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Santa Paula
now i have had the female out in the tank for a day and a half and its kind of weird neither of them nip. what does this mean? they just chill in there

talal101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
alberta
I'm assuming he has built a bubble nest already, so he is ready to breed. This could mean that they are just getting used to each other again, I'm very surprised they never began breeding immediately or at least tried to bite each other. You know I would watch them if they still have not bred then this is a strange thing lol. Just wait and see, it could be a few days before they begin although they should have begun a long time ago. But patience is key, and don't leave her in the tank over night take her out and re-release her in the morning so that you can observe.

Motoxer777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Santa Paula
oops lol. they seemed to get along like a pair of a different species so i did leave them last night and everything has been fine. its so weird. and yes the male has made a HUGE! nest already

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store