is this something to worry about

Chris@els

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2016
good day

i noticed on the rocks there is growing some sort of algae but im not sure what it is can someone please helpIMG-20190205-WA0001.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
fullsizeoutput_d3b.jpeg
In most healthy habitats (especially) without higher plants to use up nutrients, algae will grow to use up any extra nutrients.
I assume you mean the green/yellow patch growing below the end of the log starting in the right 3rd of the tank.
Nitrate is the most common nutrient in well filtered tanks that helps promote algae, because normal filtration does not remove it, by-products of filtration actually help it grow, the only normal way to reduce it, is thru regular water changes (or in salt water tanks, foam fractionation(AKA protein skimming).
I happen to like algae in my tanks, helps to remove nitrate along with plants and lots of water changes, and provides grazing material for fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Just a little extra, tons of algae in aquariums usually means filters are not being cleaned enough and water is not being changes enough, especially if the lights are on too long, or too much sunlight is reaching the tank.
There is also a type organism called cyanobacteria (blue green/slime algae)that can be troublesome, certain types suggest high nutrient (polluted) conditions.
This does to "seem" to be what is i the OPs photo.
There are thousands of species of algae.
One of my microbiology text books was entirely about the algae of the American great lakes.

Reactions: Matteus

Chris@els

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2016
20190209_202843.jpg
this is how the rocks look im not sure what type of algae it might be can anyone help i changed the substrate from gravel to pool filter sand and cycled the tank again got a new filter as well

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
That is normal brown algae, not cyanobacteria, it is part of every aquarium, and good for the tank, it is using nitrate and light to grow, or if there is silica as a normal part of your tap water, it can also cause brown algae, in combination with light, and nitrate.
Some people don't like it, I do because it's natural.
The only way to keep it from constantly coming back, is to keep nitrate at a very low level, with water changes, lots of them.
Perhaps 50% every other day.
Plants are also able to use nitrate, but to actually effect nitrate enough to hold algae back, you would need a tankful of plants, similar to this to starve the algae.

one, 2,or even 4 plants won't make a dent.

Reactions: Matteus and skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store