Is this the right prefilter for a FX6?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
With the flow of an fx6 using a prefilter like that will clog it ASAP I would steer away from sponge prefilter just my 2 cent. Had many fx5/6 clog with sponge prefilter weakens the flow drastically

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I can't tell how big it is for sure, looks pretty small and judging from the "40 gallons and up" I'm guessing it's more for something a fraction of the size of an FX6. Like the Fluval 206 range. For an FX6 you're going to want something pretty big.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I can't tell how big it is for sure, looks pretty small and judging from the "40 gallons and up" I'm guessing it's more for something a fraction of the size of an FX6. Like the Fluval 206 range. For an FX6 you're going to want something pretty big.
Hmm good point

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
I use these and eheim 6664 prefilters on all four of my fish tanks and never had severe clogging issues. I do have one on my fx4. Comes with enough adapters to find the right fit. I clean the prefilter every two weeks and the canisters every two to three months. These work well and keep the canister clean. If the prefilter didn't clog the canister would. I really believe prefilters are invaluable. I even use these on all my aqua clear 70's and 50's.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
Oh, and as soon as you see reduced flow, take five minutes to clean the prefilter. Much faster than taking apart an FX6 or in my case FX4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store