Is this the right prefilter for a FX6?

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
FX series come with an open strainer. I now have the eheim 6664 prfilter on my FX4. I just removed the extension and attached the eheim in it's place. Like I said the Filter max III has adapters in the box that will fit.discus 1.jpg

Reactions: Irecruitfish

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Oh, and as soon as you see reduced flow, take five minutes to clean the prefilter. Much faster than taking apart an FX6 or in my case FX4.
My thinking as well. I'm looking to do some prefilters on both my fx6. Plus the foam block would add additional bio filtration.

Irecruitfish Irecruitfish let us know when you find the right setup.

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
Nope, no prefilter for me on the FX4, FX6 or the SunSun 303B. I see no need for something like this on a canister filter like these that can hold such a large quantity of filter media. It would be a different story if I was running a small HOB filter. Then I could see that the pre-filter would be a benefit. I have all of my canisters setup the same way and in this order. First tray or first media the water passes through is layers of sponge filters in coarse, medium and then fine. The rest of the trays are packed with bio media in the form of BioHome Ultimate and these filters can hold a lot of it. I only use any type of Chemical media in one filter and I use several media bags filled with Purigen. This keeps my water parameters in check and water changes are only required every 2 weeks or so when Nitrate levels reach 20 ppm or slightly higher.
Later
NCH

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
A hydor v sponge is a great prefilter keeps my cascade 1200 on a heavy stocked and planted 55 neay debris free on my monthly floss change with just a quick rinse every other water change

Reactions: robcope
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store