Is this what's called a Mayan cichlid?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We have these (plus blue tilapia, walking catfish, and sunfish) jamming every puddle and body of water in Florida. I got couple of hundred from our temporary koi pond when it got pumped down. Put one in a 4500 gal.

These are, again along with tilapia and walking catfish, what I call Armageddon fish. Extreme survivors. They survive where almost no other fish can by any stretch of imagination.

Confirm ID please? Tell me what to expect, if you will. I am only starting to dabble in cichlids.

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Looks like a Mayan to me. Can get around 12” maybe a little larger. Very adaptable fish, these have been found thriving in full saltwater. Can be somewhat aggressive in smaller tanks but won’t be a problem with those bruisers in 4500 gallons.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Looks Mayan. Your average ca cichlid has an attitude. Can be nasty our can be pretty mellow depending on the individual. Nothing really special to mention. Eats pellets and very adaptable to water parameters. Grows roughly the same size as those Oscars.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Yes they are Mayaheros uropthalmus. I've seen alpha males in Mexico topping out near 20".
Below is a video from Cenote Azul where they are endemic, most of this group are females, and a few subordinate males.
Theres a large group that have adapted to living in highly saline ocean water around the shores of Isla de Mujeres, an island off the coast of the Yucatan, Mexico.
Azul imovie edit

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all, guys. Much appreciated.

Yes they are Mayaheros uropthalmus. I've seen alpha males in Mexico topping out near 20".
Below is a video from Cenote Azul where they are endemic, most of this group are females, and a few subordinate males.
Theres a large group that have adapted to living in highly saline ocean water around the shores of Isla de Mujeres, an island off the coast of the Yucatan, Mexico.
Azul imovie edit
Looks like you shot the video! Thanks. A lot of tattered tails and fins in that group.

Reactions: C. Breeze

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It was interesting to see all the torn up fins, but then I noticed the alpha males in there territories, in caves. Any male challengers were immediately sent limping off, and the females wouldn't bother coming near unless absolutely ready to spawn.
In another Cenote, where the area was shared with JDs, they were also tattered.
027 zps4b102ffd
and just like the OP I've seen them and many other non-native cichlids in Florida as far north as Naples.
The photos below taken just outside of Everglades City

Justin Martin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2018
I have mistaken some of the darker and cooler colored Mayans for tilapia before. That looks like it might be crossbread to me. This is a pure Mayan. Much more orange and red

7ABECBA2-7251-423A-A14B-313EDC634643.jpeg

I must add, I have been wrong before

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
After two years in the 4500 gal, I had to take it out and place in a 240 and then into a new 1800 gal because the temensis peacock bass decided to eat it in earnest this time around and not like the weak attempts before. Of course it couldn't but others joined it - piraiba, vultures...

It sulked for about a month after this nd then started feeding again. It grew back the missing scales and is still growing back its missing fin chunks after two-three months since the scare. Currently looks about 16":

100_9060.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store