Isolate Holding Frontosa?

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
My adult wild caught Mpimbwe Frontosas that I bought a year ago have spawned seven times. I let the moms hold close to term if they could. Four of the times it worked, three of the times eggs are gone within three days. If they make it beyond day three it seems it will be a success. There are three females. All have spawned at least once.

I don’t want to do the tumble thing if they can learn to hold on their own. At the moment I have an extra 90 gallon available. At the next spawn should I move the mom to that tank on her own? Are they more likely to hold if alone? Should I do it day one? Will she spit the eggs and not pick them up? I have done African Cichlids for 15 years and this seems to be the species that does not want to hold well (do wild caughts take longer to learn)?

Stevesteve72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2014
Mass
why not just give it a try a see what happens? You have the spare tank and if it works out you'll get some fry and if it doesn't I'm sure they will spawn again and you can try something else.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Do you know if she spawned with a male? I have some firefish females, that will hold unfertilized eggs for a week. I have watched them, chase of all the other fish, before laying and holding eggs, one at a time,

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Can't say for sure if she spawned with the male but since I am getting fry half the time I think the male knows what he is doing. I might just try it one of these times to see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store