Issue with my Aligator gar

Mr.kelberi

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2016
So he started acting strange 2 nights ago when I ran around the tank stealing shrimp from all of his tankmates and got fatter than iv ever seen a gar get. Later in the night he was at the surface trying to shoot across the water with his mouth open trying to get water down his throat or possibly air. He did this in short bursts but every 45seconds to a minute. He did this for a while and then went and sat on the bottom of the tank.

I didn't notice anything wrong until this morning when he was not really using his tail to swim. He currently has a curve in his back at right about the anus and he very limited mobility and motion from his tail fin.

IMG_2034.JPG

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Broken back,he will most likely survive,from the sound of it he probably injured himself stealing food.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Probably not,but he will most likely be able to swim and hunt well,I have seen huge gar that have been broken when young but grew huge after recovering.

Volood

Feeder Fish
Mar 11, 2018
643AF4FC-4F92-4486-9225-7E720BAD322E.jpeg Hey there i know this is an old post but i have been having an issue with my gar as well
Couple of weeks ago i moved him to a bigger aquarium so he can swim freely there but i noticed there was a swelling near his tail between the fins and the tail
its soft and fleshy like when i tocuhed it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store