issue with new tank

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
A couple of things. Did you add any prime or safe to the water after you filled It? Was the water the same temp and Ph as the holding tank (acclamation)? The tank is not cycled if the filter wasn't seeded but I agree that's not the issues here because in 15 mins the cycle hasn't even started. I would cycle the tank for a couple of weeks using seeded media from an established filter and a couple of "clean" feeder goldfish or similar. Then acclimate any new additions properly adding only one fish at a time over the course of a couple of weeks so your biological filtration (beneficial Bacteria) can catch up to the bio-load of the fish & waste.
I always add Prime, even though I have well water haha. The media is seeded, and once the sumps up the media in it will also have already been seeded. I'm honestly thinking it may be a PH issue now....because if I remember correctly Quikrete has limestone in their sand products...and I can't believe I didn't think about that beforehand...I normally fast cycle all my tanks...and with 310 gallons the bioload I'm putting in shouldn't stress the bacteria by any means but I will let it cycle out with some feeders in the tank and see how they do. Thanks everyone

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I agree with the toxicity probability. How well was the tank cleaned out prior to filling? If this tank is a used tank, you most likely don't know what the previous owner might of had in there. If its a chemical contamination, then the solution is probably dilution. Keep the tank filled completely fill with water at all times and do 100% w/c every few days for at least a couple of weeks. I would also use dechlorinator with each water fill, in the beginning just in case it is a residual chlorine that's the culprit.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Definitely compare the Ph levels and let the tank run for a while. Then do a good drip acclamation before releasing the fish into the new tank. I'll bet you'll be fine after that or at least you'll have eliminated one area of concern.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If its a pH issue, then it should be a snap to confirm.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm not ready to go down the toxic road yet without correcting the obvious first.
Ya the PH thing was like a lightbulb for me...I never test PH because I my water is stable and always higher PH, and my substrates I usually use don't alter it by any measurable amount. That playsand is the only new factor in this setup.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I agree with the toxicity probability. How well was the tank cleaned out prior to filling? If this tank is a used tank, you most likely don't know what the previous owner might of had in there. If its a chemical contamination, then the solution is probably dilution. Keep the tank filled completely fill with water at all times and do 100% w/c every few days for at least a couple of weeks. I would also use dechlorinator with each water fill, in the beginning just in case it is a residual chlorine that's the culprit.
I was thinking that all night last night, but the more I think about it now, the more I'm thinking it was the PH...they went lethargic almost identically as when (if you've ever made this mistake, which I have) you add a fish to water much much colder without acclimating. They were upright, but near the top and I could reach in and pick them up without them trying to get away. My bluegill, who came from a quarry with limestone all through the water, was the only one that was lively the whole way through the ordeal. Granted she shouldn't still have that high PH tolerance after having been in my tanks for almost a year but it seems more and more likely to me.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well...I added my bullhead and channel catfish to the tank, and all seems well this time. I drip acclimated the holding tank with water from the main and they seem perfectly fine in their new home now. Thanks for the advice everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store