Issue with squiggly white worms

Jkoziatek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
NY
this may not be in the right section and if it is not mod please move this!( thanks in advance and sorry)

I had a 55gal set up for a white and i started getting these little white worms ( I think i have narrowed it down to nematodes, but i could be wrong). they live in the grvale and they also attach to the side walls of the tank. The worms also do not seem to be bothering the fish. I recently got a larger tank and bleached boiled etc every thing that went into the new tank, and what do i see tonight, the little white squiggly worms...

i know of course that you will all say i'm over feeding... i am not, but i will lessen what i feed now to try and starve the worms.

I intend on doing 30% eater changes every day for a week

I also intend on adding aquarium salt ( tablespoon per gal)

besides that what else can i do to get rid of these buggers... i'm going to clean my filters again and put all new cartridges in my power filters...

should i adjust the temp?

any medications i can use that will not require me breaking down the tank or removing my fish?

Jkoziatek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
NY
put a magnifying glass up to them and i dont see the triangular head... also from some readings i've done, nematodes swim in an 'S' shape when they swim free in the water, which is what these little guys do...

bcrank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2010
TX
Are the worms thin and pointy on both ends? Do they wiggle around while swimming? Definitely nematodes. I had those in a 55g, years ago. (Too many fish in the tank). They are not really harmful, but they are definitely a nuisance. Usually from overfeeding. I tried everything to get rid of them (various medications). Nothing worked--only reduced the numbers. Even starving them. The only medication that really worked (without having to remove everything) on these was Clout. But this is a VERY harsh medication. It works, but you always worry that it may kill the fish as well. And you will still have to do several water changes after and wait for the blue color to disappear. (Take out anything white). You can try medications (at your own risk).

There is no easy solution-- just attempts. You could try to starve them out, but they may come back. But, they may not. If they do then:

The only thing that really worked was to remove everything from the aquarium. If you can, replace the gravel. If not, lay out all the gravel flat on a screen (window screening or similar) in the sun all day, or several days if you can. Only need one day here when the weather is 100+. Put the tank (upside down to trap the heat), all the rocks and whatever else you have out in the sun. Let everything completely dry out (tubing, pipes, etc.). If you have bio-balls or similar media, you will need to put them out, too. Yes you will have to recycle. But you should have started aging some water before you started. Soak your pumps in a heavy salt mixture or a sanitizer solution. Then rinse thoroughly and let completely dry.

Replace all disposable filter media. (You will never get the worms out of the fiber) Put all filters in the sun as well--sumps, etc.

Once you are confident everything is completely dry, refill the aquarium with just water--no substrate, decorations. Refill sump, etc. Run without media. Check after a few days for worms. If no worms, start to rebuild your setup. If not, repeat or (since the aquarium has no fish) medicate HEAVILY. Of course you could do this first, but this way spares the expense of medication and the residue.

Worked for me.

Fish are hard work.

Jkoziatek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
NY
yes they are thin and they they wiggle... i guess water changes and dsalt it is.. gunna try and starve the tank... the clout... can it be dialuted as to be not as concentrated and not harm fish?

bcrank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2010
TX
If possible, take the fish out, since you are just treating the tank.
This is last resort medication. Dose only the actual amount of water in the tank. Calculate water displacement for gravel, rocks, fish, etc.
Definitely use a gravel vac, before and after treatment.

Quote:
DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Remove carbon from the filter but do not discontinue filtration. Take a disposable cup and half fill with aquarium water. Dissolve one tablet for every 10 gallons (38 liters) of aquarium water. Dispense the medication throughout the treatment aquarium. One treatment should be adequate. If parasites or symptoms are still present 24 hours after initial treatment, change 25% of the water and treat again. Replace filter carbon 24 hours after final treatment. If fish show signs of stress during treatment, change 50-75% of the water immediately.

WARNINGS

This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. For aquarium use only. Not for use on fish intended for human consumption Do not use on piranhas, Metyniss species, scaleless fish, bottom feeders, marine sharks, lionfish, live rock, invertebrates and amphibians. Clout may stain silicon sealant and aquarium decorations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store