It’s been a whole year

cvar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
usa
The roll-over trunnion is a brilliant piece of redneck engineering. You best believe I'm 'o steal that idea.
Are ya gonna paint the raw frame with Mastercoat Paint so it won't rust? I did my truck 10 yrs ago with Ospho and MC paint, and that frame still looks perfect.
Your frame looks pristine and solid, unlike ours did ("I can see right through the floorboards" comes back to mind). Did you sandblast it?
Ah yes, there's that pesky castle nut & cotter pin on rear axle. Ours once sheared off and the rear wheel rolled past us as we came to a stop and it didn't (thump, drag back-end, screech). Funny now, not then.
Hope hurricane Hilary doesn't knock loudly on your door. Stay safe.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The roll-over trunnion is a brilliant piece of redneck engineering. You best believe I'm 'o steal that idea.
Are ya gonna paint the raw frame with Mastercoat Paint so it won't rust? I did my truck 10 yrs ago with Ospho and MC paint, and that frame still looks perfect.
Your frame looks pristine and solid, unlike ours did ("I can see right through the floorboards" comes back to mind). Did you sandblast it?
Ah yes, there's that pesky castle nut & cotter pin on rear axle. Ours once sheared off and the rear wheel rolled past us as we came to a stop and it didn't (thump, drag back-end, screech). Funny now, not then.
Hope hurricane Hilary doesn't knock loudly on your door. Stay safe.
It looks like the weather here is going to clear up. We had some nasty rains for the past two days though.

I haven’t chosen the paint yet except that it will be black and I will give it a phosphoric acid etch & degrease first.

Everything that is clean I burnished with an electric drill motor and wire brushes. Some things were scraped to bare metal with a scraper and some things were sanded with a sanding sponge. Access was the biggest deal

So far no sandblasting has been done, and it was motor oil that protected this frame from rusting away.

I lost the front wheel on an MG once driving up Logan Canyon in Utah. I was going left around the sweeping curve and I watched my left wheel just take off without me.

I was by myself, and I managed to keep the car off the ground by climbing into the passenger seat. I eased it over to the side of the road with just the parking brake.

The car landed on the front brake rotor, At 0 mph in the dirt, so nothing was damaged there. I had to climb down into Logan Canyon and find my wheel and the wing nut that holds it on.

And I sat by the side of the road for an hour with a buck knife and a screwdriver and a rock cleaning up all the little splines so the wheel would go back onto the hub.

That’s one of those experiences that just blows your whole day.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I’m still busy with the project car. I have been welding up all the unnecessary holes in the floor pan, and there were about 60 of them, so far.
B33D4B9A-5C87-4DAE-8F87-08A3EE0326DF.jpeg
I also did a lot of repair welding on the tunnel and it’s not done yet. This whole patch got ground down and re-welded.
E265258D-89B8-4415-A144-272AF47ADEF2.jpeg

I just finished up the pan tonight and tomorrow I’m going to start working on the inside of the tunnel. Before I go any further I need to do some cleanup and patching where there is still rust hidden in the tunnel.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I also welded up all the unnecessary holes in this cross frame, and they were about 30 of them.
057C9F9B-73CA-4FD4-93F4-5E8F1CFD90AA.jpeg
That all got sanded down and painted it is curing in the shed. I also got the rear suspension cleaned up painted, and the rear frame, along with the transmission.

I ordered some custom frame rails to be bent up and when I get them I can continue building the actual perimeter frame.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
So I reached a major milestone today, when I finally cut the frame in half.

I eventually built a welded jig for the full frame, so I could get it straight, and maintain (correct!) the wheelbase.
4F168128-25F3-454C-873A-E5A11F70CAAB.jpeg
This jig is all constructed from salvaged steel, and is certainly not suitable for production. I will eventually scrap it all out.

79BD794C-DECC-4888-83D4-E3DA43FAD624.jpeg

cutting the frame…
50A82B7A-BB9C-453E-8E5C-150C25FB03FF.jpeg

Then just 4 bolts and it’s split forever.
9FDD4733-1DDA-4587-8E5E-C2AE559F1464.jpeg

Now I must connect this
AFE03EBD-E545-44E8-A7D7-A861EE71240D.jpeg
To this:
18D7A1BB-C00B-48A7-A1C5-C25F90DB994A.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store