IT attacked arowana

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
My IT attacked my hbrtg during the night....... I bought the IT a few days ago and he is stable all the time. Would be a shame to move him but my arowanas fins are torn. Will this keep on continuing.
The aro is 9-10inch and the dat is 6inch

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Are they the only fish in the tank? How big is the tank? Also if the IT is a new addition he may be trying to establish a pecking order, to see who's boss. Is it constant attacking or just the occasional nip?

Reactions: dudefish82

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Tank is 5x2x2. other than the two there is poly's. The IT and arowana keeps fighting now.... The dat is chasing the aro everywhere. I guess the dat will have to go

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I have the same problem.
I have a cross back golden about 12 inches and just bought a tiger with the same size.
They fought the first day but nothing really serious fin nipps here and there.
(Most of the time they fought during the night)
In my case the cross back is the bad guy.
It was his tank till the tiger comes in so its normal i guess.
Now two days later its getting better !
I hope all turnes out well.
At the first day i was close to sell the tiger again and put a divider in.
I would give them a few days to get used to each other and feed them well.
If your aro gets hurt badly i would seperate them.
Its a hard decission to make, good luck.
I think a big factor is also the tank size.
They need room to get out off each others way.
Tigers are one of the bravest fish i know.
My tiger comes to my tank after a four hour trip and showed no fear off my fishes.
And i think it was his first meeting with two 30 Inches marulioides .

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
haha in my case the dat is the bully. He chasing my arowana everywhere, I moved him to my pond i will add him later once my aro recovers

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It does not sound like such a hard decision to make where those two types of fish are concerned and I'd imagine one would be hard pressed to find an indo dat that is worth what those types of arowana are.That said,I have read a few accounts of dats and aros not getting along but hopefully in the op's case they are just feeling each other out.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
You could try dither fish, silver dollars, tinfoil barbs, big tough fish that can take a beating. That way the aggression is spread out. I wouldn't give up just yet.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My IT attacked my hbrtg during the night....... I bought the IT a few days ago and he is stable all the time. Would be a shame to move him but my arowanas fins are torn. Will this keep on continuing.
The aro is 9-10inch and the dat is 6inch
Alright dude ? You could try ditherer fish but my guess is the dat's trying to see of future threats , I've had this a lot with jardini the other fish can see a potential threat so they deal with it while they can (before the aro out grows them) I had to get rid of my 7" dovii last week due to the new jardini arrival because he's already felt the wrath of a bigger jar so I know he's do the same as your DAT is doing to the new smaller one , maybe the DAT will have to go mate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store