I've got some cleanup to do tomorrow... (graphic image warning)

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I've never seen anything like this before...
I have an almost five foot Cali kingsnake, and she eats medium sized frozen/thawed adult rats. She has for two years or so now, with no problem. (I've had snakes for four years now, and I've never had to give a live rodent to one of my snakes, ever) But for some reason, today, it seems like... maybe the rat was fatter than usual... my king just couldn't get her jaws around it. She struggled with the shoulders, and then seemingly couldn't swallow the fatter part of the rat's gut, and when she got to the end of it, it seemed to have a tube of toothpaste effect...

I've never seen anything like this before, ever. I know it's graphic (frankly, it's disgusting) but it seems like such a strange occurrence that I'm kind of perplexed?

I was kind of worried she might get viscera in her nares or glottis, but she seemed to navigate the mess quite well.

The only major downside is that, if I move her to clean her tank, I run the risk of her sending that whole mess back up... so I have to smell that mess all night until I can get to it tomorrow morning... :eek:

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1966.JPG

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Blech!

When I worked at the pet store and had to feed the youngins that came in it happened often with pinkies. Especially if they were heated too long by some of my coworkers. We also had some king snakes bash the pinkies against the feeding cage and cause them to explode, those were some fun messes to clean up.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
no grosser than my face after eating slow cooked short ribs heavily BBQ sauced, any one have a wet towel handy? some times you just have to sink your face into it. snake be fine. :)

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
That usually happens when you heat the rats a bit too much while thawing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store