I've got some Paddlefish!

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
Does he tolerate warmer temps better than when younger?
Also Do you think paddlefish should always be maintained in a species only tank?
Also do ya know how they tell if it is a dink or not?

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Does he tolerate warmer temps better than when younger?
Also Do you think paddlefish should always be maintained in a species only tank?
Also do ya know how they tell if it is a dink or not?
They are very tolerant of temps, outside they lived quite well in water that was warm to the touch but well aerated, temp was probably high 80's, low to mid 70's is probably close to optimal, I would think that really warm water would be detrimental over a long period of time.

As for a species only tank, that is probably not necessary, I keep mine with several coolie loaches, cory cats, and several ottos. They will swallow small fish that hover in mid water but I see no reason why they couldn't be kept with non aggressive fish.

Feeding is the most important part, any fish that would out feed the paddlefish would be a problem. Paddlefish do not digest all of thier food and they are as nasty if not nastier than fish like koi carp, the food goes through them and needs to be removed. Scavengers do a pretty good good job of eating the partially digested food.

Right now he is alone other than his scavengers... Even this dwarf paddlefish needs a large tank, a foot print of 8 by 2 feet would seem to be a minimum to me...

aquaculture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
In search of Leiarius
Thanks. Now I just need to keep an eye out for some dinks.

cupfishhead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
That is awsome. Definately an oddball fish. They are one of my favorites!!! They do grow fast when their are small but take a while to reach full size which has been known to grow over 5 ft. Hopefully they get kinda big for you maybe a few feet atleast. Thats awsome they are eating pellets. Hope they do well for you.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
That is awsome. Definately an oddball fish. They are one of my favorites!!! They do grow fast when their are small but take a while to reach full size which has been known to grow over 5 ft. Hopefully they get kinda big for you maybe a few feet atleast. Thats awsome they are eating pellets. Hope they do well for you.
Well this fish is a genetic dwarf, he will never get much bigger than he is, his hatch mates are all in 30" range now, he is over two years old. Paddlefish are raised in ponds with floating pellets, for some reason they naturally take floating food.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I mean updated pics

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Actually i tried that a while back and the light in my basement is too dim. All I got was a blank video. I might see if I can get some lights down there but I am getting ready to move again and pics aren't a priority right now.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Sad news to report, during the move the paddlefish died. I was so very careful moving him, I set up a 360 gallon vat with a large filter and he did well for a couple of weeks but he and all the fish in the vat with him died, I found him buried in the leaves at the bottom of the vat. I'm not sure but I suspect the leaves were poison somehow. It is an odd tree, plum or peach, might not have had anything to do with it. I am devastated, I had him for over two and a half years, he was a beautiful fish and had come to recognize me as a source of food coming to the top to get his pellets. I learned a lot from him, awesome fish RIP....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store