Jack Dempsey color

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Follow up question. Is it actually a bad sign or mean they're unhealthy because they are more tan?

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I don't think that being more tan says anything about their health....just color variation.

They def get darker when breeding ... almost black.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Don't think my tank could handle them breeding. Almost not enough spaces as it is right now. I'm looking into taking 1 EBJD and 1 jack back and just having 3 in there for now

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have snorkeled with them in the cenotes of Mexico, and found there is quite a bit of color variation in individuals even in the confines of a small cenote of maybe less than 100,000 gallons.

Very old males were generally dark, as were breeding males holding territory.

Reactions: JDempsey1980

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I of course as this question everywhere so I was asking at the LFS and I got an interesting response. Apparently (and I had noticed this) while they are all Jack Dempsey's the slight variations in color from one to the next can also be affected by the region that line of JD come from. according to this source there are 15 regions where they can come from. Can anyone verify or dispute this information? Also I couldn't figure out how to edit the original post to put this there. Any help with that would be great too ^.^

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Although at the moment there are 3 "semi" recognized species of JD the most common and scientifically valid is Rocio octofasciata, but there are 2 more that may or may not be considered valid, R. gemmata, and R. ocotal.
I have found that if you go from one cenote to another, there are slight, yet noticeable differences. In Cristalino they may be more elongate than in Jardin de Eden, some may have a more bulldog like muzzle. Whether of not this is enough to warrant separation as species, is another story.
Here are a couple videos I took in 2 different cenotes, where I found them.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The 2 cenotes in my videos are just off the highway, not far south of Cancun.
They are easily accessible, and used as swimming holes by many of the locals.

(It is best not to go on weekends, because they get a bit crowded)

Reactions: JDempsey1980

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Here's some pics of my Jacks so yall can see what I mean.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store