Jack dempsey teeth?

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
my male has really tiny teeth compared to your dog fish haha xD

He is 2 years old. Do you think the teeth grow bigger than they are right now?

I envy you for such big teeth, really...

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
my male has really tiny teeth compared to your dog fish haha xD

He is 2 years old. Do you think the teeth grow bigger than they are right now?

I envy you for such big teeth, really...
I’m not sure age has anything to do with how big the teeth are. Genetics maybe?
My female was under a year old and only 4” when I finally had to get rid of her. Her and my male gt fought too much and I was afraid she’d kill him.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
WHOA!!!

Is that a dog that mimes being a fish?!
Hell big teeth...
Yea he’s more like a puppy and doesn’t know how to use his teeth haha he’s the most timid fish I’ve owned, he use to live with guppies and doesn’t shred my plants.

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
guppys?!
how is that possible? Mine killed even the tetras (5cm) that were fast enough to escape!
Plants are only in danger when they get in the way of digging holes and guarding fry.
So I have only Vallisneria and Elodea densa in the ground, and on the surface I grow Salvinia, waterlenses and frogbit.

But: My JD waits for me when I select shrimps that get fed to him. He watches the net until it opens up, and comes close to it to catch the shrimp right away.
When I fed him the big cricket, he even ate out of my hand, which he never did before,
so all in all mine is a shy, aggressive, hungry but somehow even tame and interested fish.

Reactions: Jexnell

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
guppys?!
how is that possible? Mine killed even the tetras (5cm) that were fast enough to escape!
Plants are only in danger when they get in the way of digging holes and guarding fry.
So I have only Vallisneria and Elodea densa in the ground, and on the surface I grow Salvinia, waterlenses and frogbit.

But: My JD waits for me when I select shrimps that get fed to him. He watches the net until it opens up, and comes close to it to catch the shrimp right away.
When I fed him the big cricket, he even ate out of my hand, which he never did before,
so all in all mine is a shy, aggressive, hungry but somehow even tame and interested fish.
Yea he lived with thee guppies until I switched to mollies, so now I keep jd’s, HRPs, and mollies. The adults are fine but all dry get eaten.

All my plans are on lava rock and drift wood. They are hardy plants like java fern

That’s pretty impressive when they recognize their feeding items like nets bowls and containers.

Your jd male is a beauty!!!

D ram d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2018
My 5 inch EBJD is just starting to show teeth. Can’t proceed to good in this picture but he is to fangs on the bottom and top .

2772F381-06ED-4EE7-841F-CC7A7E552838.jpeg

Reactions: Jexnell

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hey,

beautiful fish you have there! Congrats, JD are great fish!
if it is already big enough you could try to look for the shape of the genital papilla.
But it is quite tricky to figure out which gender you have there, unless it spawns. Even the males grow a bigger papilla then, and you clearly see the difference.

Males look that way:
-----------------------
------////////////////
> °_) ##############{ ## )
------"""" () """""""V"\\\\\\\\\

---------------------------

And females look this way:
----------------------------
------- /////////////////////
> °_) ############# { ## )
------""" () """"""""U"\\\\\\\\

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: D ram d

D ram d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2018
hey,

beautiful fish you have there! Congrats, JD are great fish!
if it is already big enough you could try to look for the shape of the genital papilla.
But it is quite tricky to figure out which gender you have there, unless it spawns. Even the males grow a bigger papilla then, and you clearly see the difference.

Males look that way:
-----------------------
------////////////////
> °_) ##############{ ## )
------"""" () """""""V"\\\\\\\\\

---------------------------

And females look this way:
----------------------------
------- /////////////////////
> °_) ############# { ## )
------""" () """"""""U"\\\\\\\\

Good luck!