U.S
i would say a female jag would be fine
a male not so fine

Maduro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
NY
Get a baby Jag under 3", put it in there and you'll be fine...Put a school of barbs 7-10 in there as well...the barbs will help your baby settle into such a large tank by itself. Over time you'll notice the barbs will start developing nip'd fins. At that point you can wait for the jag to slowly pick off the herd or re-home them and enjoy your solo jag.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
papawoody;4730710; said:
yes you could do a female or a smallish male . people tend to give advice based on maximum size , but all specimens are not maximum size . just don't get a huge one .
Couldn't agree more. You read a lot of threads and you'd think you needed a 300 gallon tank for one or two big fish.

Spakase

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Singapore
You could also consider some of the other CAs, Red Tiger (Motaguense), Freddies (Fredricsthalli). Or even Haitensis.

Arcangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2010
Washington
are jags from africa or south american

Spakase

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Singapore
Jags (Parachromis Managuensis) comes from Nicaragua in Central America.
They are in the same class of aggressive cichlids as Doviis, Red Tiger, Freddies, and so on from the Parachromis genus. The sizes differ, Red Tiger is smaller, hence I feel is more suitable for a 3.5 feet tank.

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Spakase;4743914; said:
Jags (Parachromis Managuensis) comes from Nicaragua in Central America.
They are in the same class of aggressive cichlids as Doviis, Red Tiger, Freddies, and so on from the Parachromis genus. The sizes differ, Red Tiger is smaller, hence I feel is more suitable for a 3.5 feet tank.
Also a little more unique and equally attractive, in my opinion. They're also quite aggressive from what I hear, maybe even more so than the Jags?

mbeatrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
boston
a jag would be fine in that size tank ,with no other cichlid tankmates or unless they have paired up....and frequent water changes.......

CClump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Seattle
since your in the african forum i say tilapia buttifokeri and a sydontis cat and maybe a couple of convicts or something to give more life to the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store