Jag Tankmates...

sicklid-holic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
US
In a 4ft tank it is very hard to impossible to house a big jaguar cichlid w/ another fish, there is not much room to hide. In about a year the jaguar will get to 10"to 12" and so its aggressive personality (You can try convicts and make sure there is a lot of hiding spaces). However a 6' will be ok, housing other aggressive CA cichlids like texas, jd, gt, convicts.

evilxyardxgnome

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
twitter.com
Wouldn't you think the Jag would make a nice meal out of the small convicts? My Jag and my one of my Parrots fight, but then my Oscar comes and breaks it up, usually. But its not terrible fighting, no signs of injuries, just kind of a mock lip lock (a usual cichlid fight)

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
Don't forget, in their wild habitat of Nicaragua, convicts are a primary part of the Jag's diet. :drool:

wilycro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
rhode island
I had two female Jags in with 3 Buttikoferi (tilapia buttikoferi). Everyone got along, the Jags hung out in an old pot and the B's had their rocks. I had to split the tank up to move after 2 years, no clue how they would have done after much longer.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
sicklid-holic said:
In a 4ft tank it is very hard to impossible to house a big jaguar cichlid w/ another fish, there is not much room to hide. In about a year the jaguar will get to 10"to 12" and so its aggressive personality (You can try convicts and make sure there is a lot of hiding spaces). However a 6' will be ok, housing other aggressive CA cichlids like texas, jd, gt, convicts.
I agree. in anything smaller than a 6' a male jag will eventually completely take over and want the tank for himself. a female is likely to do the same. I had a jag a while back in my 125 with a GT, JD and midas. the midas had always ruled the tank because it was larger. the jag actually started out as the smallest in the tank. once it got to around 7" though it completely took over and kept the midas, JD and GT huddled into a corner of the tank while it freely swam around and ruled the other 3/4 of the tank. jags are a highly territorial fish and need a huge territory to be happy and accept other fish. :)

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
johno27 said:
Why not just do 2 jags you might even get a pair witch would be a bonus :naughty:
imo having a bonded pair is the only way you'd have a chance to be able to keep 2 jags in this size tank without one eventually killing the other. even 2 females, imo, would eventually fight to the point that only the stronger of the 2 would survive. :)

JAGUARCICHLID

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
WEST VIRGINIA
Try a black shark, just make sure its a large one.I hae no idea why but i bought a Jag for 5 bucks that someone had droppped at the LFS. Needless to say he wouldnt tolerate my oscars but gave him his own 40 long. The only fish he tolerates and actually seems to like is a black shark. Must be some kind of body language going on there somewhere because i also have a smaller one ( 6 inches) who gets along great with another shark. :screwy:

JAGUARCICHLID

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
WEST VIRGINIA
As for a Pleco, definitly a Rhino pleco. I have one over 10 inches that doesnt take any sh&%t from any of my cichlids.... :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store