Jags breeding

Nickavfc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2023
I have a oscar , jack dempsey, blue acara and now two jaguar cichlids , looks like hes making a nest ready to get it on , question is will the others eat their fry?

bknot1

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2021
Jags are great parents, they will protect the fry until they are free swimming (for a 6 weeks or) or until the are ready to spawn again. Yes the others will eat the fry when the parents are distracted when the get a chance. If the Jags don't feel the fry will be safe they will eat the eggs before the fry starts swimming... need hiding spot small enough for the fry but to big enogh for the others fish to get to them once the parents start to let the swim free from protection.

jr71

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2022
I have a oscar , jack dempsey, blue acara and now two jaguar cichlids , looks like hes making a nest ready to get it on , question is will the others eat their fry?
I'd be even more concerned about the safety of the other cichlid tankmates. Jaguar cichlids will very aggressively defend their spawning site, eggs, and fry. They may decide the whole tank is their territory, but if you have a large enough tank it could allow enough space to keep the peace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store