Jaguar changes over the years

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
I have noticed that a lot of Jaguars have changed over the years. When I first got into the hobby jaguars had a purple color with their typically spotting. But it seems that now they all seem to be more yellow and their spotting. Is this due to the collection points or some other reason? If so anyone know the collection point for the purple colored ones or someone who has some fry?

Reactions: celebrist

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I have also noticed this. I miss the old ones with the purplish hue to them. They also seemed to have a better body shape as well. Less prone to the humpback look you see in a lot of older jags these days.

Reactions: PMK and celebrist

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Don,nt know about that, my first jags where WC, and the rest of them where from their spawns, none looked like that first pic. wondering that was not the lighting it was taken in. one was Honduras, other Costa Rican, in natural lighting they where gold/yellow. as was their spawn.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I just grabbed that pic off the web to demonstrate what I was used to seeing back then. Lighting or not, all the jags, or at least the majority of them had that reddish/purplish hue to the males when they matured. I have to think they must have came from a certain location that people aren't collecting from anymore. Or at least that's my best guess. It's a shame because they were absolutely beautiful fish.

Reactions: PMK

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Jags you are describing do not happen in the wild, there are no purple jags, gold with velvet black spotting/bands and blueish on the dorsal. Perhaps hybrid but I have no ideal or knowledge on that.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
This taxonomic database entry, based on the Sven Kullander description, disagrees.
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/parachromis-managuensis.html
Body color silvery or golden-green to purple; back moss green, sides with purple iridescence, belly whitish or yellowish; dorsal, anal and caudal fins with numerous black spots, interspaces whitish, yellowish or with blue iridescence; a black blotch on the caudal-fin base. Breeding females with stronger crimson hue to the gill cover.
See post # 52: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/races-of-jaguar-cichlid.165524/page-6

Article by Paul Loiselle (PhD, founder of ACA, etc.) scroll down to photo of specimen: "iridescent rosy base coloration is typical of Costa Rican populations." ( https://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=92 )

They come from a variety of native locations, plus areas where they're invasive or have been intentionally introduced as a food fish. A fish I've admired, not kept myself, but I've certainly seen color variations.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
That Paul Loiselle article shows exactly the variety I remember seeing. I would snatch some up if i could find any these days.

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
I just grabbed that pic off the web to demonstrate what I was used to seeing back then. Lighting or not, all the jags, or at least the majority of them had that reddish/purplish hue to the males when they matured. I have to think they must have came from a certain location that people aren't collecting from anymore. Or at least that's my best guess. It's a shame because they were absolutely beautiful fish.
That's what I was thinking maybe its some forgotten collection point now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store