Jaguar cichlid

Jack golden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
I want to get a Jaguar cichlid, but I was curious how it is compared to a red devil in aggression and personality.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I want to get a Jaguar cichlid, but I was curious how it is compared to a red devil in aggression and personality.

pops pops
TommyNY TommyNY
duanes duanes

Nove Sedici

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2018
Netherlands
Never had a red devil but my Jaguars aren't really agressive when not breeding. They did chase a Petenia Splendida when breeding but are now living peacefully with 2 WC (rio cristalino) oscars of the same size. They are even sharing hiding spaces with the 2 oscars and are behaving like a group of four. They are even allowed in their space when breeding.
In the same tank is a small Cichla Kelberi, a small Petenia, a small Panaque Nigrolineatus and temporarely a Chiapaheros Grammodes. They are not really interacting with these fish as long as they don't come to close when breeding.

Have to say that mine are still small (6 inch or so). Maybe the agression will start when they are bigger.

Reactions: tlindsey

TommyNY

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2018
On the other hand my jaguar bites my hand repeatedly as soon as it enters the water. Mine started showing aggression around 6 inches and this increased with size and maturity.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My Jag used to bite my hand when servicing the 8 foot aquarium. It was a "peaceful jag", and forced the other inhabitants (4 other cichlids) to cower in the other 4 feet of the aquarium. Any smaller, and I'm sure it would have taken out anything in a 6 footer.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
never had a red devil, so I have nothing to compare with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store