Jaguar / Hoplias Tankmates

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Hello MFK community ,

Long time no see. I finally finished my 250g tank before 1 month and yesterday i installed my two fish. I do have a Male Jaguar Cichlid aroun 30cm and a Hoplias Mala same size. Jag is super agressive on hoplias and i want to add some more fish to cut a little the agression. I was thinking silver dollars but i am wondering if they destroy my anubias.. I did some research and the will eat them in no time.. I do have 3 Driftwoods and lava rocks inside which can provide caves for my Mala. Except silver dollars what i can add to calm a little my Jag?

P.S i am not sure if other cichlids will destroy the anubias.. so far Jad didn't touch them.318516907_474426834724489_5509651528924563664_n.jpg

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I personally would not house these two together, my past experience with them has not been good. I have had 8-9 inch Umbee eaten by a Hoplias. Granted this was not something I had planned rather one from my grow out Umbee tank had hopped the tank. They had appeared to get along so I left them together, Hoplias was around 10 inches. A few weeks later I came home to a full bellied Hoplias. This was Hoplias malabaricus and actually quite chill until feeding time. I think with both fish being piscivore it will be a challenge to stop the aggression. I am not sure if SD will curb the Jag's aggression especially since he thinks he is boss. You could try creating more spots the wolf can get into or completely rearrange the decor before a water change.

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
II will try to add more driftwood then and make caves for the Hoplias..A good question now. How to stop the Jag being agressive to other (future) tankmates. I will definately add some more fish inside. I am thinking a Bala Shark and polypterus

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
Unfortunately yes.
Damn .. Can any of them get a long with any other fish? I thought Mala was the most pacifist from the hoplias family.. Jag can be with a Dovii or a Midas right?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Yikes...place your bets everyone I give 5-1 on the jag.

All jokes aside that's a good looking tank. Just one of those beautiful fish would fit great in it. I think your best chance to keep your plants intact and maybe even some tankmates would be with the wolf. No guarantees though with a mature predator like that obviously.

Can we see some more pics of that jag?

Reactions: DMD123 and tlindsey

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Damn .. Can any of them get a long with any other fish? I thought Mala was the most pacifist from the hoplias family.. Jag can be with a Dovii or a Midas right?
I think they are one of the more aggressive ones. Pacifists are golden or rainbow wolf!

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
They were both beautiful but i decide to give them away to a local pet shop and change a little..I do love fish and i don’t want them to have a bad life. I had them almost 3 years but since they can’t live with other fish it’s better for them and for me .. I am a little disappointed… I couldn’t decide which one i wanted most and the other aquariums which i have are not for those beauties. Please close the topic

Reactions: tlindsey and DMD123
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store