Jaguar in a community tank?

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I'm growing out a group of Jags in a 125 hoping to get a nice male.
When the time comes I wonder if it would be feasible to put the runt of the group in my 300 community tank. It holds Bocourti, Vieja, Sagittae, Red Devils, & convicts. About ten fish in total.
Crazy talk?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You, sir, are a classic example of Cichlid Enthusiast.

You have a community of big potential killers co-existing on a razor edge of compatibility...several of those guys have the potential to just snap overnight and go on a rampage...any seemingly insignificant change could trigger disaster...and you just have to push the envelope a liiiiiitle bit further...

Crazy? Or...crazy smart? :)

?

....Nahhh....just crazy...:)

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
any update here?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Eh, a 300 is a good size tank to attempt it and you've got a group of mean fish in there. Could it work out with a Managuense? Maybe for a while. These types of setups are usually a balancing act and the setup will need to be adjusted as time goes on.Very rarely can you "set it and forget it" and have it work out permanently.

Reactions: dr exum

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
May work, may not work. A 300 is by no means small, but a male Jaguar, if it wants to could easily take over a 300 overnight. If you do, be sure to have lots of caves/pots or just lots of decor to establish territory and break line of sight. Good luck

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I removed a Jag from my 540 Gal. He was relentless. Vieja were no match for him. Jag thought he should have 3/4 of the tank to himself. He wasn't exactly violent, but he was flaring and chasing fish all day every day. He was in a fight with a different Vieja every 2-3 days. He had to go.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store