"Janitors"

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Ok fish eats ray crap after that who's eat fish crap? Just kidding, most bigger types barbs will do the job that other fish wnt do.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Alright ill grab some tin foil barbs next time I'm at my lfs thanks
Personally I would up the filtration instead of adding more bioload. I have a large 120ish gal sump plus external filter and noticed a bit of poop building up, all it took to fix was another pump to increase the turnover. Measure your nitrate too using a new kit, not dip strips.

Tworner54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2011
massachusetts
Why not dip strips.... my lfs tests all there water with lfs and is probably has the most quality fish in my state i doubt they would risk thousands of dollars of fish on test strips that don't work

Tworner54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2011
massachusetts
Well I have the liquid ammonia test which in my view on fish keeping is probably the most important but ill defiantly buy the liquid master test kit by the end of the month but for now I have 2 different brands of test strips and will start doing both at the same time and if they read the same thing then I doubt there faulty

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Well I have the liquid ammonia test which in my view on fish keeping is probably the most important but ill defiantly buy the liquid master test kit by the end of the month but for now I have 2 different brands of test strips and will start doing both at the same time and if they read the same thing then I doubt there faulty
But make sure as soon as you dip the test strip in the
Water that your testing, put the strip on a flat surface for
Better accurate reading.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
What are some good fish that would "clean up" after a ray I've heard or silver dollars being a good one anything else?
Have a look into nuclear followers association. It is the relationship between certain species of cichlids that will protect and follow stingrays because the rays unearth food in their natural habitat. Various species of the Satanoperca genus an earth eater cichlid (peaceful SA cichlid) are perfect IMO and are beautiful. I would recommend Satanoperca leucosticta or Satnaoperca jurupari (second pic, less colorful than lueco's) first and formost. Excellent husbandry. Thsi is assuming your talking about left over food, nothing but proper filtration will remove unwanted solids..

Tworner54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2011
massachusetts
Ya I just added a brand new 90 gallon overhang on today and I have a canister filter and biowheel so if I do three 33% water changes every Sunday I'm looking at 100% water changes in two weeks time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store