Japalura Splendida questions

IMRTL13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
North Idaho
[FONT=&quot]Hey everyone. I am fairly new to the herp hobby. I have always stayed aquatic and now have herp fever as well. Lol I don’t think my house is big enough for this lmao. Well I picked up a Japalura Splendida about 6 months ago and fell in love with the little guys. (I know they are pretty common but they are fun) Anywho, I recently rescued one from petco a couple days ago. I normally don’t buy anything there usually just go to look but I felt so bad for the little girl I had to bring her home. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was wondering if both of mine are female (I think so from what little info I have found on them) and any breeding or other info would be greatly appreciated. I want to pick up a male and possibly build a walk in terrarium to house about 10 maybe more, (but that’s later down the road).Added some pics. The first 4 are Ryu the first little girl I got. The last 2 are my new little girl Tatsu that is currently in a quarantine tank till I nurse her back to health and fatten her up.
[/FONT]

Ryu5.jpg

Ryu7.jpg

Ryu3.jpg

Ryu1.jpg

Tatsu3.jpg

Tatsu2.jpg

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Ok first of let me congratulate you on your excelent herp choice:D had a pair of this guys once and find them very interesting to keep and to wach, also with lots of apetite and very good ,not at all shy, temper for such small lizards. However Im afraid I can only give you general advice regarding breeding, they are not often bred because few people keep them and also there are so many locates, morphs, subspecies that is very hard to know the local conditions your lizards come from, and so how to stimulate them to bred, but it shouldnt be hard. First make shure all belong to the same kind (just look at their individual markings), sex them its easy mature males are much more colorfull. Make shure your feeding them a varied insect diet wich should include gut loaded farmed insects and if you can get a safe source, wild insects as well (grasshoppers, crickets, mouths, etc). Also give them some seazonal changes (dont change day temps but decrease nigth ones) and plenty of uv ligth and even direct sun ligth.

IMRTL13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
North Idaho
Thanks Coura,

I breed my own meal worms and gut load them. My older one is a piggy she eats 6-8 a day if you let her. I had to quit feeding wax worms as they were making her too fat lol. The marking on both are almost identical with few differences. My next one I think I am going to order online, any suggestions. I found some on Silver City Serpentarium? anyone order from them?

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Cant give you advice on where to purchase but remenbar to not feed them only on meal worms, crickets and roaches are better staples.

IMRTL13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
North Idaho
They get crickets, roaches, and they will even hunt moths while I have them out chillen with me :) I was reading that females have more of a broken pattern and males have a more pronounced stripes? do you know if this is true?

DestineyJen

Feeder Fish
May 12, 2010
Southeast Tennessee, USA
jk-pim.net
This is true. The males' stripes are full lines one on each side of the back and the females have a much more broken pattern. I have a female and a male. The male's colors tend to be darker greens and blacks while the female's colors are more subtle greens and browns. I've seen multiple Japaluras and all the females looked the same with the broken patterns as did the all the males with two green lines (which are much harder to find, they've had three male Japaluras so far at the local Petco [each one at different times] and I got one of them [the second one]).

As someone else said, I haven't really ever heard of Silver City Serpentarium either. Though I would sadly have to say that Big Apple Herp does not have any of these beautiful lizards, I am happy to say that I know LLL Reptile should have some (listed as Green Tree Calotes there, but they are the same ---- this lizard actually has a multitude of names [i.e., Japalura Splendidas, Banana Split Lizards, Neon Tree Dragons, Chinese Tree Dragons, Green Tree Calotes, Calotes, Calotes Whatever, Green Calotes, Dragon Agamas, Chinese Bergagame, Neon Agama, etc.] and there are so many inaccurate care sheets out there because really don't know very much of anything about these lizards), which is probably why the care sheets are so inaccurate they have too many names.

For breeding you will need a male and at least one female, but I'm sure you already knew that (you will also need a suitable place for eggs to be laid, though don't be surprised if the female completely refuses to use the place you have set up for her like mine did. To be able to tell the difference in gender the best way is with pictures. Some detailed information on determining gender of Japalura Splendidas can be found at http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/107733-japalura-splendida-3.html

If you have any other questions, I've had my two for awhile and I know quite a bit about them (which is why I also know most of the care sheets are extremely inaccurate).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store