Jardini and their Colors

David!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Australia
Gshock;4926237; said:
Mostly all these "variants" you see are caused by different lighting conditions. The black jars are only that black because the background is black and the lights are giving off a black illusion. In reality, its probably just a darker bronze, but nowhere near the black we're seeing. The only thing different is the true platinum which is just a leucistic defect but those are nearly impossible to find. The other so called "high shine" jars are just achieved by placing them in a bright white tank for extended periods of time. It's a fact that these fish are able to somewhat change their colour to match their surroundings. The darker your tank, the darker the fish and the opposite also applies. As for those with more prominent red dots, a simple karotene rich diet would achieve this, or even tanning if you were to go that far. Lastly, that green jar just looks like it's sick and is half dead, pretty disgusting IMHO.

This all sounds about right. Whilst all the same species it is good to differentiate their physical attributes, but i'd put the majority of the non-genetic [deformity, recessive abnormality] differences down to the local environment.

David!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2009
Australia
Preface: I've only ever had one captive Jardinii, but have done a lot of Saratoga fishing in the wild.

A dark background, with a healthy scattering of very large drift wood pieces. High quality dark sandy substrate. This is what I run currently and watching the fish in an environment similar to it's native habitat is nothing short of majestic.

A lot of people don't like feeders, but I catch another Australian native locally (gudgeon) and seeing the Jardinii chase them through the spires of wood is really amazing.

jdvue

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2010
Wisconsin
Gshock;4926237; said:
Mostly all these "variants" you see are caused by different lighting conditions. The black jars are only that black because the background is black and the lights are giving off a black illusion. In reality, its probably just a darker bronze, but nowhere near the black we're seeing. The only thing different is the true platinum which is just a leucistic defect but those are nearly impossible to find. The other so called "high shine" jars are just achieved by placing them in a bright white tank for extended periods of time. It's a fact that these fish are able to somewhat change their colour to match their surroundings. The darker your tank, the darker the fish and the opposite also applies. As for those with more prominent red dots, a simple karotene rich diet would achieve this, or even tanning if you were to go that far. Lastly, that green jar just looks like it's sick and is half dead, pretty disgusting IMHO.
That pretty much sums up everything I said :D

jdvue

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2010
Wisconsin
I have a Proposal to possibly prove or disprove the "background and lighting" [environmental causation] explanation for different color varieties in Jardinis.

This will require 2 Jars. from the same batch (preferably siblings).
This will ensure the closest genetic make up as possible.

And another 2 Jars. from different batches.

THE CLAIM MOST PEOPLE MAKE IS THAT IT'S NOT GENETICS THAT CAUSES THE JARS TO TAKE ON THE DIFFERENT COLORS. BUT CLAIM IT'S THE BACKGROUND AND GRAVEL+LIGHTING [environment] THAT DETERMINES THE COLORS.
if such a claim holds true, then 2 un-genetically similar Jars put under the same environment would in theory take on the same or nearly the same colors regardless of genetic make up.

If they do not show similar colors, then this will discredit the claim that the environment determines the Jar's colors.
--------------------------------------------
the 2 sibling pairs will be the control as they have similar genes, and according to both the environmental causation claim, and the genetic variation claim, they should express similar colors under all variables.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method

(Putting these Jars into the same tank may result in death)

option B. Put Jar 1 sibling in a tank with dark environment. Put Jar 2 sibling in a dark environment as well.
*These set-ups should be identical; same background, same gravel, same tank size, same lighting, water parameters, etc. They should be fed the same diet.

Observe colors of Jars in no background.
Observe colors after entering the black tank.
Observe for 3 weeks and note any color changes.
Repeat this with light environment.

The same steps should be done for the non-sibling pairs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course this experiment should be replicated several times to reveal accurate results.

So... does anyone want to fund me? LOL

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
Color variation in jar's is caused by two things.

1. Tank back ground. darker/lighter colors will affect tone of the jar.
2. Diet, a high protein pellet an MP diet will help bring out more of the pink-red tones.

Lighting setup also affects a jars color but only while the light is on. that is obvious and an outside eliment but doest effect photos!

this is well documented on these forums if only people tried the search feature...

dragonfish1ca

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2005
alberta canada
I would like to Point out.....
I had a Black Jardini at my moms that had Light gravel, White wall background and shop lights from revy.....Was fed beefheart and smelts... And Jet Black....
It wasnt really worth any more it was just diffrent :)

Gshock;4926237; said:

dzigbancet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Bandung - Indonesia
dragonfish1ca;4956554; said:
I would like to Point out.....
I had a Black Jardini at my moms that had Light gravel, White wall background and shop lights from revy.....Was fed beefheart and smelts... And Jet Black....
It wasnt really worth any more it was just diffrent :)

WOoOoOooooOWwww...!!!Massive!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store