Jardini vs Silver

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I'm shopping for a new tank and an arowana. My LFS can get a Silver for about 20 dollars, and a Jardini for 60. I would like to keep a few other fish with in the tank. I hear the Jardini can be started in a smaller tank because they don't grow as quickly, but they are more aggressive than the Silver....so it would need a huge tank to itself eventually. If I get a Silver and a 150 gallon tank, could my African Tiger Pike, Florida Gar and Snowflake eel be tankmates with it? Why is the Jardini three times the price of Silver? The guy at the shop is suggesting the Jardini.......but he may just want me to spend 40 more dollars....any suggestions or opinions?

STONEDFISH :drool:

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Jardini are substantially more rare than silvers (still, neither are very rare), thus the higher price. If you're going to keep it with tankmates, go with a silver - there's no gurantee that the jardini won't kill all of your fish. The silver should be fine with the African tiger pike (Hydrocynus sp. or Hepsetus odoe?) and gar (provided they are close to equal size), but the eel should be in brackish water. I like jardinis a lot better, but like I said they don't do well with tankmates most of the time. $60 is a decent price for the jardini, at least if it's around 5"-6"... $20 is also decent for a silver if it's around 5"-6" as well.

Doc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
NH
www.docsden.com
what about african aro's?

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I don't know anything about africans....the other two is what my LFS could get. Somebody told me I need a 300 gallon for a full grown Silver?! That is HUGE.....how much would a tank of that size cost to get going????

:drool:

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
300 would be about right for a silver, and around 200 for a jardini. The costs all depend on what filters you buy, how you setup your sump (if you set one up), the kind of tank that you buy, etc...

STONEDFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I though it would be more than that. I will be going cheap to start and upgrade. I'm pretty handy.....is it cheaper/possible to build alot of things you need?

stonedfish :screwy:

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
i recently got a jardini about 7 inches, i was shocked to see him selling for only 25 dollars. he has lots of green and red ears and is very cool looking. he has been aggressive to my two texas cichlids that r only about 2"s. so i dont see why everyone calls them aggressive. do they get more aggressive as they mature? i wouldnt mind having a sliver but i personally think that jardini's are better lookin my self.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
STONEDFISH said:
I though it would be more than that. I will be going cheap to start and upgrade. I'm pretty handy.....is it cheaper/possible to build alot of things you need?

stonedfish :screwy:
http://www.glasscages.com/

if you can stop by one of their shows/business, then shipping is free. If you can't, they quoted me at $350 to ship a 240g from their business to New Mexico.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store