JD enjoying his tankmate

Aribenlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2006
Tempe, Arizona
I just put in a female JD with my EBJD about 5 minutes ago and I'm seeing behavior I've never seen from him. He's puffing out his mouth, waggling, showing her his side, and swimming along side her. Is this breeding behavior?

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Sounds like he's trying to impress her.

cookiemonster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Washington
You can probably expect a spawn soon. Unless your normal JD is heterozygous for the electric blue trait you'll have to breed the offspring with each other to get EBJD's.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
cookiemonster;1070965; said:
You can probably expect a spawn soon. Unless your normal JD is heterozygous for the electric blue trait you'll have to breed the offspring with each other to get EBJD's.
I was gonna say that if he wanted to breed them.

I don't even try to sex them until they're fully mature adults any more...

Here's how to produce Adult EBJDs starting with eggs (Theoreticaly, unless you are already breeding them). For each step you can skip, you save about 12-14+ months, so the whole process takes about 3-1/2 years.

JD = Regular Jack Dempsey
BGJD = Blue Genotype (Regular Phenotype) Jack Dempsey
EBJD = Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Step 1) EBJD X JD = 100% BGJDs

Step 2) BGJD X EBJD = 50% BGJDs and 50% EBJDs

3) note: EBJD X EBJD = 100% fatal (No fry survive, assuming any eggs hatch at all).

Bottom line is that to actually produce EBJDs, you need an EBJD to spawn with a BGJD. This is why most breeders are unwilling to sell BGJDs. If you pair one with a EBJD, you can save years of breeding, feeding and rearing time.

Aribenlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2006
Tempe, Arizona
Mystix212;1070981; said:
I was gonna say that if he wanted to breed them.

I don't even try to sex them until they're fully mature adults any more...

Here's how to produce Adult EBJDs starting with eggs (Theoreticaly, unless you are already breeding them). For each step you can skip, you save about 12-14+ months, so the whole process takes about 3-1/2 years.

JD = Regular Jack Dempsey
BGJD = Blue Genotype (Regular Phenotype) Jack Dempsey
EBJD = Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

Step 1) EBJD X JD = 100% BGJDs

Step 2) BGJD X EBJD = 50% BGJDs and 50% EBJDs

3) note: EBJD X EBJD = 100% fatal (No fry survive, assuming any eggs hatch at all).

Bottom line is that to actually produce EBJDs, you need an EBJD to spawn with a BGJD. This is why most breeders are unwilling to sell BGJDs. If you pair one with a EBJD, you can save years of breeding, feeding and rearing time.

I've been trawling the boards for a BGJD for some time now. I finally decided to go the long route. I'm thinking, even if I don't go all the way to more EBs I can sell the BGs. I imagine a lot of people are like me and would like a BG to breed.

Aribenlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2006
Tempe, Arizona
I feel like it's a good idea to get Bgs in the hands of other people. By keeping the gene pool diverse I think we can reduce fatality rates in Ebs and promote the morph as a healthier specimen. Inbreeding has to account for some of the mortality rate and overall frailty of the electric blue. By spreading the blue genes around we increase the vitality of the fish, and of the hobby around it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store