JD male or female?

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
Wanted an opinion on what you guys think the sex of this fish is and if you think it's a full Jack Dempsey or some hybrid?

IMG_20190604_195809_1.jpg

IMG_20190604_195756.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Male and full jack dempsey to me.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looks to be a normal male JD to me too.
Females lower jaws have a very blue tint throughout, often called a blue beard, yours has blue spotting but not the blue smudge associated with females.
As far as being a hybrid though, today because everybody and their cousin are crossing cichlids, its becoming hard to tell the mutts from the real species.
In any hybrid spawn, a certain percentage will look more like the father, another % like the mother, and a small % something-between, or different.

Sunscream

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Pittsburgh
Looks to be a normal male JD to me too.
Females lower jaws have a very blue tint throughout, often called a blue beard, yours has blue spotting but not the blue smudge associated with females.
As far as being a hybrid though, today because everybody and their cousin are crossing cichlids, its becoming hard to tell the mutts from the real species.
In any hybrid spawn, a certain percentage will look more like the father, another % like the mother, and a small % something-between, or different.
Thanks for the input!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store